The Art Education program at CCNY seeks students with diverse life experiences who are interested in developing their artistic and teaching practices to become reflective and critical arts educators in schools, community centers, and museums.
Undergraduate admission eligibility:
Current CCNY undergraduate students interested in Art Education should contact the Program Director: Dr. Marit Dewhurst ( firstname.lastname@example.org %6ey.ed%75"> email@example.com ). Students transferring from other schools or who have not yet been admitted to CCNY, should first contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for information about the application process.
Graduate admission eligibility:
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Art Education, Art History, or related field
- Approximately 24 undergraduate credits in studio art and art history
- 3.0 GPA (if you do not meet this, consult with Dr. Dewhurst)
Questions about eligibility? Read the Admissions-FAQ and contact Dr. Dewhurst.
How to apply
CCNY accepts students twice a year, for either the Spring or Fall semesters. Applicants to the Graduate Program apply via the School of Education‘s online system. Read our FAQ for additional information. A completed application includes the following:
- Online application submitted via the School of Education.
- Personal Statement describing interest in pursuing art education, career goals, and supporting experiences.
- 3 letters of recommendation from former professors, supervisors, or mentors.
- Portfolio: Prepare an online portfolio of 15-20 images of creative work produced within the last 3 years. If you have previous teaching experience, you may also submit examples of student artwork. When prompted by the online application system, submit a pdf document that includes the URL of your online website and a set of thumbnail images of which works of art you would like the committee to review.
- Selected students will be contacted for an interview with Art Department faculty.
Applicants are reviewed twice a year, in mid-October and mid-March.
To apply, materials must be received by the 15th of that month.
Last Updated: 03/11/2022 15:34