The mission of the Department of Computer Science at The City College of New York, in conformity with the mission of the Grove School of Engineering, is:
1. To educate well-rounded and conscientious computer scientists capable of becoming leaders in their profession.
2. To conduct basic and applied research in computer science and engineering.
3. To offer advice, service, and support to industry, government agencies, schools, community groups and professional societies.
The Computer Science Program Educational Objectives
A. Pursue a successful career in industry or an advanced degree in computer science or a related field;
B. Engage in life-long learning through continuous professional development;
C. Demonstrate leadership in addressing technical and business challenges;
D. Adhere to the ethical standards and accept the professional responsibilities expected of practicing professionals.
The Computer Science Program Student Outcomes
1. An ability to analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions;
2. An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program's discipline;
3. An ability to communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts;
4. An ability to recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles;
5. An ability to function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program's discipline;
6. An ability to apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.