Computer Science deals with information: its storage, retrieval, and processing; its communication, control, and manipulation; its analysis, recognition, and display. This relatively new profession is concerned with computers, their organization, the theory that underlies them, and their application. Computer scientists concern themselves with the analysis of algorithms, data structures, computer systems, the structure of computer languages, human-computer interaction, and applied logic.
Computer Engineering is the study of the design, analysis, and application of computer systems. It involves a balanced view of hardware, software, hardware-software tradeoffs, and the basic modeling techniques used to represent the computer process. Computer engineers design computer systems that include a wide range of embedded systems, consumer products, telecommunication systems, microprocessors, and many others.
The Department of Computer Science offers the following degrees:
- B.S., Computer Science
- B.E., Computer Engineering (in conjunction with the Electrical Engineering Department)
- M.S. Computer Science
- M.S., Computer Engineering (in conjunction with the Electrical Engineering Department)
- M.I.S. (Master of Science in Information Systems)
- Ph.D., Computer Science (in conjunction with the CUNY Graduate Center)
- Minor in Computer Science
- Incoming Master's Student Advising Information
- M.S., Data Science and Engineering