The application process is completed online. Register to take required exams at the website for New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCE).
GRADUATE APPLICATION PROCESS
Graduate Application Advisor: Professor Andrew Ratner (North Academic Center, Room 5/208C)
REQUIRED GRADUATE APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (showing a minimum of 24 credits in English literature with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and a minimum GPA in English of 3.0).
- Proof of any existing teaching license.
- A personal statement about English teaching and how that personal view motivates you to teach English in secondary level schools.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
UNDERGRADUATE APPLICATION PROCESS
Undergraduate Application Advisor: Professor Andrew Ratner (North Academic Center, Room 5/208C)
REQUIRED UNDERGRADUATE APPLICATION MATERIALS
- A personal statement about English teaching and how that personal view motivates you to be an English teacher in secondary level schools.
- Two Letters of Recommendation.
- Photocopy of Core Evaluation.
- Photocopy of Major Evaluation.
- Official transcripts from every post-secondary institution attended.
Only undergraduate applicants who meet the following minimum entrance requirements will be considered.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75.
- Minimum GPA in English of 3.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 credits in the English major.
Prior to admission, undergraduates can take only EDUC 20500, EDSE 32500 and SPED 32000 in The School of Education. Any student completing additional education courses prior to formal admission into the English Education Program may find themselves taking courses that will not be applicable to their program