Professor, 2010-present Department of Biomedical Engineering The City College of the City University of New York
Associate Professor, 2004-2010 Department of Biomedical Engineering The City College of the City University of New York
Assistant-Associate Professor, 1998-2004 Department of Mechanical Engineering Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Assistant Professor, 1988-1989 Department of Engineering Mechanics Southwest Jiao Tong University, China
Postdoc, Department of Human Physiology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, 1995-1998
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York, 1995
M.Eng. Modern Mechanics, University of Science & Technology of China, 1988
B.S. Modern Mechanics, University of Science & Technology of China, 1985
At BME Department
BME 10100 Introduction to Biomedical Engineering (1 credit, undergraduate)
BME 50100 Cell and Tissue Mechanics (3 credits, undergraduate)
BME 50200 Cell and Tissue Transport (3 credits, undergraduate)
BME 50400 Cell and Tissue Engineering (3 credits, undergraduate)
BME I2000 Cell and Tissue Engineering (3 credits, graduate)
BME I2200 Cell and Tissue Transport (3 credits, graduate)
BME I4200 Organ Transport and Pharmacokinetics (3 credits, graduate)
BME I55100/G4300 Scientific Ethics (1 credit, graduate/undergraduate)
BME I0000 BME seminar (1 credit, graduate)
BME I7100 Cell and Tissue Mechanics (3 credits, graduate)
BME I3110 Biofluid Mechanics (3 credits, graduate)
At ME Department
EGG 102/102L Introduction to Engineering Design (3 credits, undergraduate)
CEG 303/303L Fluid Mechanics (3 credits, undergraduate)
MEG 314 Heat transfer (3 credits, undergraduate)
MEG 380/380L Fluid dynamics (3 credits, undergraduate)
MEG 445/645 Numerical Methods for Engineers (3 credits, undergraduate/graduate)
MEG 416/616 Introduction to Biomedical Engineering (3 credits, undergraduate/graduate)
MEG 700 Advanced Fluid Mechanics (3 credits, graduate)
MEG 795 Transport Phenomena in Biology (3 credits, graduate)
Molecular, Cell and Tissue Engineering in the Microcirculation
- Modeling nano-micro transport phenomena in transvascular, transcelluar and transinterstitial processes
- Structural mechanisms of acute increase of microvessel permeability
- Tumor migration and metastasis in vivo and in vitro
- In vivo permeability studies on single microvessel (microperfusion, quantitative video microscopy, fluorescence microscope photometry and confocal microscopy, image processing)
- Regulation of vessel permeability by mechanical, physical and chemical stimuli (signal transduction, permeability studies under physiological and pathological conditions)
- Drug delivery to brain through the Blood-Brain Barrier and the CSF
- The Blood Brain Barrier permeability and its role in neural functions
- Mechanosensing and transduction in the microcirculation
- Stochastic optical resolution microscopy for endothelial cell nanostructure and function
- Multiphoton microscopy for in vivo brain vascular and tissue transport study
Regenerative medicine for neuro disorders
Generating the cerebral microvessels and cerebro organoid out of human induced pluripotent stem cells for neuro disease models (e.g., DeGeorge syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease) and treatments
Optimization in therapeutic medical device
Fluid Mechanics, Mass and Heat Transfer
Selected and Recent Publications
Da Wi Shin, Jie Fan, Eric Luu, Wasem Khalid, Yifan Xia, Niranjan Khadka, Marom Bikson and Bingmei M. Fu "In vivo modulation of the blood-brain barrier permeability by transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)" Ann Biomed Eng, 2020 Jan. 3. DOI 10.1007/s10439-020-02447-7.
Xiao LL, Lin CS, Chen S, Liu Y, Fu BM, Yan WW. Effects of red blood cell aggregation on the blood flow in a symmetrical stenosed microvessel. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2019 Jul 11. doi: 10.1007/s10237-019-01202-9.
- Zeng Y, Yao X, Liu X, He X, Li L, Liu X, Yan Z, Wu J, Fu BM. Anti-angiogenesis triggers exosomes release from endothelial cells to promote tumor vasculogenesis. J Extracell Vesicles. 2019 Jun 17;8(1):1629865. doi: 10.1080/20013078.2019.1629865.
- Cui J, Liu Y, Fu BM. Numerical study on the dynamics of primary cilium in pulsatile flows by the immersed boundary-lattice Boltzmann method. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2019 Jun 29. doi: 10.1007/s10237-019-01192-8.
- Fan J, Sun Y, Xia Y, Tarbell JM, Fu BM. Endothelial surface glycocalyx (ESG) components and ultra-structure revealed by stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy (STORM). Biorheology. 2019 Apr 26. doi: 10.3233/BIR-180204.
- Xia Y and Fu BM. Investigation of Endothelial Surface Glycocalyx Components and Ultrastructure by Single Molecule Localization Microscopy: Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM). Yale J Biol Med. 91(3):257-266, 2018.
- J. Wei, L. Zhang and BM Fu. Automatic Quantification of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Levels in a Microvessel with and without Tumor Cell Adhesion. International Journal of Image and Graphics 18 (1), 2018 .DOI: 10.1142/S0219467818500018.
- Donghui Zhu, Yingchao Su, Huaxi Xu, and Bingmei Fu. Magnesium reduces blood-brain barrier permeability and regulates amyloid-β transcytosis. Molecular Neurobiology. 2018 Jan 30. doi: 10.1007/s12035-018-0896-0
- Xiao,L, Y. Liu, S. Chen and B. Fu “Dissipative Particle Dynamics Simulation of Multiple Deformable Red Blood Cells in a Vessel”. Int. J. of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements. Vol 6(2), 303-313, 2018. DOI: 10.2495/CMEM-V6-N2-303-313.
- Donghui Zhu, Yingchao Su, Yufeng Zheng, B. Fu, Liping Tang, and Yi-Xian Qin. Zinc regulates vascular endothelial activities through zinc-sensing receptor ZnR/GPR39 Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2018 Apr 1;314(4):C404-C414.
- Qunlin Zhang, Bingmei M. Fu and Zhang-Jin Zhang "Borneol, a novel agent that improves central nervous system drug delivery by enhancing blood-brain barrier permeability", Drug Deliv. 2017 Nov;24(1):1037-1044. doi: 10.1080/10717544.2017.1346002.
- JW Song, J Zullo, M Lipphardt, M Dragovich, F Zhang, B Fu, MS Goligorsky "Endothelial Glycocalyx – The Battleground for Complications of Sepsis and Kidney Injury", Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation 2017 May 23. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfx076. PMID: 28535253
- Esposito E, Cortesi R, Drechsler M, Fan J, Fu BM, Calderan L, Mannucci S, Boschi F, Nastruzzi C. Nanoformulations for dimethyl fumarate: Physicochemical characterization and in vitro/in vivo behavior. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2017 Jun;115:285-296. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2017.04.011.
- Lin Zhang, Min Zeng and Bingmei M. Fu "S1P can reduce tumor cell adhesion to the microvessel wall by protecting endothelial surface glycocalyx " Cellular and molecular biology, 2017 Apr 29;63(4):16-22. doi: 10.14715/cmb/2017.63.4.3 PMID: 28478798
- L.L. Xiao, Y. Liu, S. Chen and B.M. Fu "Effects of Flowing RBCs on Adhesion of a Circulating Tumor Cell in Microvessels" Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2016. DOI 10.1007/s10237-016-0839-5.
- Matthew Dragovich, Daniel Chester, Chenyu Wu, Yan Xu, Bingmei M Fu, Michael S. Goligorsky and X. Frank Zhang “Mechanotransduction of the endothelial glycocalyx mediates nitric oxide production through activation of TRP channels”, Am. J. of Physiol., 2016. doi: 10.1152/ajpcell.00288.2015. PMID: 27681180
- W.W. Yan, Y. Liu and B. Fu "LBM simulations on the influence of endothelial SGL structure on cell adhesion in the micro-vessels", Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.camwa.2016.07.005
- L.L. Xiao, Y. Liu, S. Chen and B.M. Fu "Simulation of Deformation and Aggregation of Two Red Blood Cells in a Stenosed Microvessel Using Dissipative Particle Dynamics" Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics DOI: 10.1007/s12013-016-0765-2, 2016.
- L.L. Xiao, Y. Liu, S. Chen and B.M. Fu “Numerical simulation of a single cell flowing through a narrow slit”, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2016. PMID: 27080221
- Lin Zhang, Min Zheng and Bingmei M. Fu "Inhibition of endothelial nitric oxide synthase decreases breast cancer cell MDA-MB-231 adhesion to intact microvessels under physiological flows" Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 310(11):H1735-47, doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00109.2016, 2016. PMID: 27059076
- Lin Zhang, Jie Fan, Min Zeng, Fitz-Roy E. Curry, John, M. Tarbell and Fu, BM. Sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) Maintains Normal Microvascular Permeability by Preserving Endothelial Surface Glycocalyx (ESG) in Intact Microvessels" Microcirculation. 2016 Mar 25. doi: 10.1111/micc.12278. PMID:27015105
- Zullo JA, Fan J, Azar TT, Yen W, Zeng M, Chen J, Ratliff BB, Song J, Tarbell JM, Goligorsky MS, Fu BM. Exocytosis of Endothelial Lysosome-Related Organelles Hair-Triggers a Patchy Loss of Glycocalyx at the Onset of Sepsis. Am J Pathol. 186(2): 248-58, 2016.
- Xiao,LL, Liu, Y, Chen,S, Fu BM "Numerical simulation of a single cell flowing through a narrow slit" Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2016. PMID: 27080221.
- Zhang, L, Zeng, M and Fu BM "Inhibition of endothelial nitric oxide synthase decreases breast cancer cell MDA-MB-231 adhesion to intact microvessels under physiological flows" Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol., 2016. PMID: 27059076.
- Zhang, L, Fan, J, Zeng, M, Curry, FE, Tarbell, JM and Fu BM. "Sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) Maintains Normal Microvascular Permeability by Preserving Endothelial Surface Glycocalyx (ESG) in Intact Microvessels" Microcirculation, 2016. PMID:27015105.
- Fu, BM, Yang, J, Shen, S, Cai, B. Fan, J., Zhang, L., Yen, WY and Zeng M. " Reinforcing endothelial junctions prevents microvessel permeability increase and tumor cell adhesion in microvessels in vivo " Nature Scientific Reports. doi: 10.1038/srep15697.PMID: 26507779, 2015
- J. Fan and Fu BM. Quantification of Malignant Breast Cancer Cell MDA-MB-231 Transmigration across Brain and Lung Microvascular Endothelium” Annals of Biomed. Eng. PMID: 26603751, 2015.
- Zeng Y, Liu XH, Tarbell J, Fu B. Sphingosine 1-phosphate induced synthesis of glycocalyx on endothelial cells. Exp Cell Res. Sep 10. pii: S0014-4827(15)30075-6. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2015.08.013, 2015.
- Yen, WY, Cai B., Yang, J., Zhang, L., Zeng, M, Tarbell, JM and Fu, B.M. Endothelial surface glycocalyx can regulate flow-induced endothelial NO production in the microvessel in vivo. Plos One,Jan 9;10(1):e0117133, 2015.
- Wei, J, Cai, B., Zhang, L and Fu, B.M. Automatic classification and quantification of cell adhesion locations on the endothelium. Annual of Biomedical Eng. 43(8):1803-14, 2015.
- Shi, L., Zeng, M. and Fu, B.M. Temporal effects of vascular endothelial growth factor and 3,5-cyclic monophosphate on blood-brain barrier permeability in vivo. J Neurosci Res. 92(12):1678-89, 2014.
- Shi, L., Palacio-Mancheno, P., Badami, J., Shin, D., Zeng, M., Cardoso, L., Tu, R., and Fu, B.M. Quantification of Transient Increase of the Blood-Brain Barrier Permeability to Macromolecules by Optimized Focused Ultrasound Combined with Microbubbles. Int. J. of Nanomedicine,. 9:4437-48, 2014.
- Rodríguez-Contreras, A., Shi, L. and Fu, B.M. A method to make a craniotomy on the ventral skull of neonate rodents. JoVE, May 22(87), 2014.
- Shi, L., Zeng, M. Sun, Y. and Fu, B.M. Quantification of blood-brain barrier solute permeability and brain transport by multiphoton microscopy. ASME J. of Biomech. Eng., 136(3):031005, 2014.
- Guo, P, Cai, B, Lei, M., Liu, Y. and Fu, B.M., "Differential adhesion of tumor cells and microbeads in the microvasculature" Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 13(3):537-50, 2013.
- Fu, BM and Tarbell JM. Mechano-sensing and transduction by endothelial surface glycocalyx: composition, structure and function. in “Endothelial mechanobiology: computational and experimental methods” in Systems Biology in Medicine and Biology (invited). Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. 5(3):381-90, 2013.
- Fan, J., Jia, X., Huang,Y., Fu, BM and Fan, Y.Higher Scaffold Permeability Promotes the Growth of Osteoblastic Cells in a Perfused Bioreactor. J. of Tissue Eng. and Regenerative Medicine, doi: 10.1002/term.1701, 2013 2013.
- Zeng Y, Ebong EE, Fu BM, Tarbell JM. The structural stability of the endothelial glycocalyx after enzymatic removal of glycosaminoglycans. PLoS one. 2012;7(8):e43168. Epub 2012.
- Cai, B, Fan, J., Zeng, M., Zhang, L. and Fu, B.M. Adhesion of malignant mammary tumor cell MDA-MB-231 to microvessel wall increases microvascular permeability via degradation of endothelial surface glycocalyx. J. of Appl. Physiol. 13(7):1141-53, 2012.
- Guo, P. and Fu, B.M. Effect of Wall Compliance and Permeability on Blood Flow Rate in Counter-current Microvessels Formed from Anastomosis during Tumor Induced Angiogenesis. ASME, J. of Biomech. Eng., 134(4):041003, 2012.
- Yen, W., Cai, B., Zeng, M., Tarbell, J.M. and Fu, B.M. Quantification of endothelial glycocalyx layer in rat and mouse blood vessels. Microvas. Res, 83: 337-346, 2012.
- Fu, B.M. and Liu, Y. Microvascular transport and tumor cell adhesion in the microcirculation. Ann. of Biomed. Eng., 40(11):2442-55, 2012.
- Fu, B.M. Non-invasive delivery of iRNAs, proteins, peptides, cytokines and nanoparticles. Current Pharm. Biotech., 13(7):1278, 2012. (Editorial)
- Fu, B. M. Experimental Methods and Transport Models for Drug Delivery across the Blood-Brain Barrier. Current Pharm. Biotech., 13(7):1346-59, 2012.
- Yan W, Cai, B., Liu, Y, and Fu, B.M. Effect of wall shear stress and its gradient on tumor cell adhesion in curved microvessels. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 11:641-653, 2012.
- Fan, J., Cai, B, Zeng, M., Hao, Y., Giancotti, F. and Fu, B.M. Integrin β4 signaling promotes mammary tumor cell adhesion to brain microvascular endothelium by inducing ErbB2-medicated secretion of VEGF. Ann of Biomed. Eng.,39(8):2223-41, 2011.
- Li, G. and Fu, B.M. An Electro-diffusion Model for the Blood-Brain Barrier Permeability to Charged Molecules. ASME J. of Biomechanical Engineering 133(2): 0210, 2011.
- Liu, Q., Zeng, M. and Fu, B.M. Microvascular hyperpermeability and thrombosis induced by light/dye treatment. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 10:235-47, 2011.
- Yan W.W., Liu Y. and Fu, B.M. Effects of curvature and cell-cell interaction on cell arrest and adhesion in microvessels. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 9(5):629-40, 2010.
- Li, G., Yuan, W. and Fu, B.M. A Model for Water and Solute Transport across the Blood-Brain Barrier. J. of Biomechanics, 43(11): 2133-40,2010[PDF].
- Yuan W. Li, G., Zeng, M. and Fu, B.M. Modulation of the Blood-brain barrier permeability by plasma glycoprotein orosomucoid. Microvasc. Res., 80(1):148-157, 2010[PDF].
- Li, G., Simon, M., Shi, Z, Cancel, L, Tarbell, J., Morrison, B. and Fu, B.M. Permeability of endothelial and astrocyte cocultures: in vitro blood-brain barrier models for drug delivery. Ann. of Biomed. Eng, 38(8):2499-2511, 2010. (Cover) [PDF].
- Yuan W, Li, G, Gil, ES,Lowe, TL, and Fu, B.M. Effect of Surface Charge of Immortalized Mouse Cerebral Endothelial Cell Monolayer on Transport of Charged Solutes. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 38(4):1463-72, 2010.[PDF].
- Shen, S, Fan, J. Cai, B., Lv, Y., Zeng, M., Hao, Y., Giancotti, F. and Fu, B.M. Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Enhances Mammary Cancer Cell Adhesion to Endothelium in vivo. (in press), J. of Exp. Physiology, 2009.[PDF].
- Chen, B. and Fu, B.M. A time-dependent electrodiffusion-convection model for charged macromolecule transport across the microvessel wall and in the interstitial space. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, 2(4): 514-532, 2009.[PDF].
- Lv, Y., Cheung, NK. V., and Fu, B.M. A Pharmacokinetic model for radioimmunotherapy delivered through cerebrospinal fluid for the treatment of leptomeningeal metastases. J. of Nuclear Medicine. 50(8): 1324-1331, 2009.[PDF].
- Yuan, W. Lv, Y. Zeng, M. and Fu, B.M. Non-invasive measurement of solute permeability in cerebral microvessels of the rat. Microvas. Res., 77:166-173, 2009[PDF].
- Chen, X.Y., Liu, Y. Fu, B.M., Fan, J.T., and Yang, J.M. MD simulation of colloidal particle transportation in a fiber matrix. Mol. and Cel. Biomechanics. 5(4):275-284, 2008.[PDF].
- Liu, Q. Mirc D. and Fu, B.M. Mechanical mechanisms of thrombosis in intact bent microvessels of rat mesentery. J. of Biomechanics. 41: 2726-2734, 2008.[PDF].
- Fu, B. M., Shen, S. and Chen, B. Structural Mechanisms in the Abolishment of VEGF-induced Microvascular Hyperpermeability by cAMP. ASME J. Biomech. Eng., 128(3):313-328, 2006.[PDF].
- Sugihara-Seki,M. and Fu, B.M. Blood Flow and Permeability in Microvessels, Fluid Dynamics Research, 37:82-132, 2005.[PDF].
- Ma, J., Guo, P., Zhang, J. Li, N. and Fu, B.M. Enhancement of Oxygen Transfer in Liquid Lead and Lead-bismuth Eutectic by Natural Convection. Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 48:2601-2612, 2005.[PDF].
- Chen, B., Yee, T., Kiser, M. A. and Fu, B.M. A Multidimensional Optimization Process for Enhancing Electroacupuncture Efficiency. Medical Acupuncture, Vo. 16 (2):12-19, 2005.[PDF].
- Fu, B. M., Adamson, R.H. and Curry, F.E. Determination of Microvessel Permeability and Tissue Diffusion Coefficient by Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy. ASME J. Biomech. Eng. 127(2):270-278, 2005.[PDF].
- Chen, B. and Fu, B.M. An Electrodiffusion-Filtration Model for Effects of Surface Glycocalyx on Microvessel Permeability to Macromolecules. ASME J. Biomech. Eng., 126:614-624, 2004.[PDF].
- Yan, H., Jiang, Y. T., Zheng, J., Fu, B.M. , Shao, S., Peng, C. The internet-based knowledge acquisition and management method to construct large-scale distributed medical expert systems. Comp. Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 74, 1-10, 2004 [PDF].
- Fu, B.M. and Shen, S. Acute VEGF effect on solute permeability of mammalian microvessels in vivo. Microvasc Res., 68(1):51-62, 2004 [PDF].
- Fu, B.M. , and Chen, B. A Model for the Modulation of Microvessel Permeability by Junction Strands. ASME J. Biomech. Eng., Vol 125, 620-627, 2003 [PDF].
- Guo, P., Hillyard, S.D., and Fu, B.M. A Two-Barrier Compartment Model for Volume Flow across Amphibian Skin. Am. J. of Physiol., 285, R1384-1394, 2003 [PDF].
- Fu, B.M. and Shen, S. Structural mechanisms of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) on microvessel permeability. Am J Physiol; 284(6): H2124-2135, 2003 [PDF].
- Fu, B.M., Chen, B, and Chen, W. An Electrodiffusion Model for Effects of Surface Glycocalyx Layer on Microvessel Solute Permeability. Am. J. Physiol. 284: H1240-1250, 2003 [PDF].
- Fu, B.M., Adamson, R.H., and Curry, F.E., Test of a two pathway model for small solute exchange across capillary wall.Am. J. Physiol. 274 (43): H2062-H2073, 1998 [PDF].
- Fu, B., Curry, F.E., Adamson, R.H., and Weinbaum S. A model for interpreting the labeling of interendothelial clefts. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 25(2):375-397, 1997.[PDF].
- Fu, B.M., Curry, F.E., and Weinbaum, S. A diffusion wake model for tracer ultrastructure-permeability studies in microvessels. Am. J. Physiol. 269(38): H2124-H2140, 1995.[PDF].
- Fu, B.M., Tsay, R., Curry, F.E., and Weinbaum, S. A junction-orifice-entrance layer model for capillary permeability: Application to frog mesenteric capillaries. ASME J. Biomech. Eng. 116: 502-513, 1994. [PDF].
“Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering of the Vascular System” Edited by Bingmei M. Fu and Neil Wright, Springer (2018).
Fu, BM “Transport across the Blood-Brain Barrier” in “Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering of the Vascular System” Edited by Bingmei M. Fu and Neil Wright, Springer (2018).
Zeng, Y, Zhang, F., Fu, BM and Tarbell, J. “The role of endothelial surface glycocalyx in mechanosensing and transduction” in “Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering of the Vascular System” Edited by Bingmei M. Fu and Neil Wright, Springer (2018).
Xiao, LL, Yan WW, Liu, Y., Chen, S., and Fu, BM “Modelling Cell Adhesion and Extravasation in Microvascular system” in “Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering of the Vascular System” Edited by Bingmei M. Fu and Neil Wright, Springer (2018).
Irsalan Cockerill, Joy-anne Oliver, Huaxi Xu, Bingmei M. Fu, and Donghui Zhu “Blood-Brain Barrier Integrity and Clearance of Amyloid-β from the BBB” in “Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering of the Vascular System” Edited by Bingmei M. Fu and Neil Wright, Springer (2018).
Fu, BM. “Tumor metastasis in the microcirculation” in “Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering of the Vascular System” Edited by Bingmei M. Fu and Neil Wright, Springer (2018).
Fu, B.M. "Microvascular permeability and tumor metastasis" Springer (invited) "Micro and Nano Flow Systems for Bioanalysis", Editors: Collins, M. and König, CS, 2012.
Fu, B.M. and Liu, Y. "Transport of water and solutes across endothelial barries and tumor cell adhesion in the microvasculature" in Transport in Biological Media ( invited), Editors, Sid Becker and Andrey Kuznetsov, Elsevier, 2013.
Fu, B.M. “Transport and drug delivery through the blood-brain barrier and cerebrospinal fluid” in “Transport Phenomena and Biomimetics” (invited). CRC Handbook of Bioengineering (fourth Edition), Taylor and Francis, Eds, Fisher RJ and Peattie R, 2014
Y. Shen, S. Tada, Z. Qiu, and Fu, B. “Effects of Memory of Polarization Interactions during Particle Transport Induced by One Gradient AC Electric Field” NSTI-Nanotech, ISBN 978-1-4398-1784-1, Vol 3: 537-540, 2009.
Fu, B.M. Multidisciplinary Approaches to the Structure-Function of Microvasculature. Alumni Series for the 50th Anniversary of the University of Science and Technology of China, USTC press, 2008.
Fu, B.M. Mathematical modeling: modeling water and solute transport across endothelial barrier. Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering, Editor: Metin Akay, Wiley-Interscience, 2006, ISBN0-471-24967-X.
Fu, B.M. Microvessel permeability. Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering, Editor: Metin Akay, Wiley-Interscience, 2006, ISBN0-471-24967-X.
Fu, B.M. and Chen, B. A Charge-filtration-diffusion Model for Endothelial Surface Glycocalyx. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Fluid Mechanics, Dalian, China, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2004.
Fu, B.M. Microvessel permeability and its regulation. Recent Advances in Biomechanics, 231-247, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2001.
Selected Awards & Honors
2019 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, Teaching and Service
2019 Elected Secretary of the World Association of Chinese Biomedical Engineers
2018 Paper selected as one of top 50 published over last 50 years of Annals of Biomedical Engineering
2015 Councilor, World Association of Chinese Biomedical Engineers
2012 Elected Fellow, American Institute For Medical and Biological Engineering
2002-2003 Distinguished Research Award Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
2002-2008 Career Award, NSF
1996-1998 Postdoctoral Fellowship NIH Training Grant in Cardiology and Neurophysiology
1996 Harold Shames Biomedical Engineering Award for Graduate Excellence in Research New York Center for Biomedical Engineering Consortium
1995 Whitaker Graduate Student Award for Best Paper Biomedical Engineering Society
Selected Student Awards from the Fu Lab
Okworogwo, J.C., Feng, SS, Fu, BM. “Hyperthermia Can Enhance The Delivery And Effect Of Paclitaxel Loaded Poly(lactide) Tocopheryl Polyethylene Glycol Succinate (PLATPGS) Formulated Nanoparticles” Grand Prize for Poster Presentation
The Empire State Medical Association Annual Conference, New York Academy of Medicine, Nov. 1, 2008, New York
Cai,B.,Fan,J.,Zeng,M., and Fu, B.M. Effects of VEGF on MDAMB435s cancer cell adhesion to microvessel walls in vivo
Best Poster Award
Northeast Biomedical Engineering Annual Conference, March 26-28, 2010, New York
Fan, J, Yen, WY, Chen, J., Ratliff, B., , Tarbell, JM, Goligorsky, M., and Fu, B.M. Loss of Endothelial Surface Glycocalyx in Early Sepsis.
Poster Award BMES 2014, San Antonio, TX, Oct. 22-25, 2014