Marco J. Castaldi
Marco J. Castaldi was born in New York City and received his B.S. ChE (Magna cum Laude) from Manhattan College.His Ph.D. is in Chemical Engineering from UCLA and he has minors in Advanced Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics.Prior to joining CCNY he was Associate Professor at Columbia University's Earth & Environmental Engineering Department.Professor Castaldi has approximately 50 peer-reviewed research articles, 32 peer-reviewed conference papers, 3 book chapters and 11 patents in the fields of catalysis, combustion and gasification.Some of his research findings have been covered by The New York Times, The Observer, CNN, and other trade publications.In addition, he is the Editor of the North American Waste to Energy Conference (NAWTEC) Series (ISBN: 978-0-7918-4393-2), Editor of the Waste to Energy text to be published by Woodhead Publishing, Editorial Board Member of Waste and Biomass Valorization published through Springer (ISSN: 1877-2641) and Catalysts (ISSN 2073-4344).
Ph.D.Chemical Engineering, 1997, University of California, Los Angeles; Advisor: Selim M. Senkan
M.S.Chemical Engineering, 1994, University of California, Los Angeles; Advisor: Selim M. Senkan
B.S.Chemical Engineering, Magna Cum Laude, 1992, Manhattan College
Combustion, Gasification, and Catalytic Reaction Engineering. Waste to Energy.
- Simson, A., Farrauto, R., Castaldi, M.J., Steam reforming of ethanol/gasoline mixtures: Deactivation, regeneration and stable performance; App. Catal. B: Environ, 2011 106 (3-4), pp. 295-303.
- Walker, M.E., Abbasian, J., Chmielewski, D.J., Castaldi, M.J.; Dry gasification oxy-combustion power cycle; Energy and Fuels. 2011 25(5): 2258-2266
- Klinghoffer, N.B., Barrai, F., Castaldi, M.J.; Autothermal reforming of JP8 on a Pt/Rh catalyst: Catalyst durability studies and effects of sulfur; J. Power Source. 2011, 196(15): 6374-6381
- Gruene, P; Belova, A.G; Yegulalp, T.M; Farrauto, R.J; Castaldi, M.J, Dispersed Calcium Oxide as a Reversible and Efficient CO2-Sorbent at Intermediate Temperatures, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2011, 50(7): 4042-4049
- Kohn, M; Lee, J; Basinger, M.L; Castaldi, M.J., Performance of an Internal Combustion Engine Operating on Landfill Gas and the Effect of Syngas Addition, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2011, 50 (6): 3570–3579
- Barrai, F., Castaldi, M.J., “Experimental investigation of a JP8 Fuel Processor: ATR and CO-cleanup train.” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 49 (4), 2010, 1577–1587
- Castaldi, M.J., and Themelis, N.J., The Case for Increasing the Global Capacity for Waste to Energy (WTE)” Waste Biomass Valor, 1 (1), 2010, pp. 91-105.
- Kohn, M., Castaldi M.J., and Farrauto, R.J., “Auto-thermal and Dry Reforming of landfill gas over a Rh/γAl2O3 monolith catalyst.” App. Catal. B: Environ, (94), 2010, 125-133.
- Nakamura, M.R., Castaldi, M.J., Themelis, N.J., “Stochastic and physical modeling of motion of municipal solid waste (MSW) particles on a waste-to-energy (WTE) moving grate.” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 49, (6), 2010, 984-992.
- Butterman, H. C.; Castaldi, M. J., “Syngas Production via CO2 Enhanced Gasification of Biomass Fuels”. Environmental Engineering Science 2009, 26, (4), 703-713
- Zhou, Y.; Castaldi, M.J.; Yegulalp, T.M., “Experimental investigation of methane gas production from methane hydrate": Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2009, 48, 3142–3149
- Eichelbaum, M, Farrauto, R.J. Castaldi, M.J., “The Impact of Urea on the Performance of Fe-Exchanged Beta Zeolites for the Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx I. Pyrolysis and Hydrolysis of Urea over Zeolite Catalysts” – Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2010, (97), 90-97
- Eichelbaum, M, Siemerb, A.B., Farrauto, R.J. Castaldi, M.J., “The Impact of Urea on the Performance of Fe-Beta Zeolites for the Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx II. Catalytic Studies’ – Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2010, (97), 98-107
- Kwon, Eilhann; Castaldi, Marco J.. Fundamental Understanding of the Thermal Degradation Mechanisms of Waste Tires and Their Air Pollutant Generation in a N2 Atmosphere. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2009, 43(15), 5996-6002.
- Simson, A., Waterman, E., Farrauto, R.J., Castaldi, M.J. “Kinetic and process study for ethanol reforming using a Rh/Pt washcoated monolith catalyst.” Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 89, (1-2), 2009, 58-64
- Dorazio, L., Ruettinger, W., Castaldi, M.J, Farrauto, B.F., “Deactivation, Regeneration, and Stable Performance of a Platinum-Molybdenum-Rhenium Water Gas Shift Catalyst for on-Site Hydrogen Generation,” Topics in Catalysis, 2008, 51 (1-4), pp. 68-75.
- Kwon, E.; Castaldi, M.J, “Investigation of Mechanisms of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) Initiated from the Thermal Degradation of Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR) in N2 Atmosphere”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2008, 42, (6), 2175-2180.
- Kaufman, S.; Krishnan, N.; Kwon, E.; Castaldi, M.; Themelis, N.; Rechberger, H., Examination of the Fate of Carbon in Waste Management Systems through Statistical Entropy and Life Cycle Analysis. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2008, 42, (22), 8558-8563
- Dorazio, L. D. and Castaldi, M.J, “Autothermal reforming of tetradecane (C14H30): A mechanistic approach” Catalysis Today, 2008, 136 (3-4), 273-280.
- Castaldi, M.J; Kwon, E.; Weiss, B., Beneficial Use of Waste Tires: An Integrated Gasification and Combustion Process Design via Thermo-Gravimetric Analysis (TGA) of Styrene-Butadiene Rubber (SBR) and Poly-Isoprene (IR). Environ. Eng. Sci. 2007, 24, (8), 1160-1178. (Invited Paper)
- Barrai, F.; Jackson, T.; Whitmore, N.; Castaldi, M.J, “The role of carbon deposition on precious metal catalyst activity during dry reforming of biogas.” Catalysis Today 2007, 129, (3-4), 391-396.
- Castaldi, M.J; Zhou, Y.; Yegulalp, T. M., Down-hole combustion method for gas production from methane hydrates. J. Pet. Sci. Eng. 2007, 56, (1-3), 176-185,(Invited Paper).
- Lee, S.-H.; Themelis, N. J.; Castaldi, M. J., High-temperature corrosion in waste-to-energy boilers. J. Therm. Spray Technol. 2007, 16, (1), 104-110.
- Smith, L. L.; Karim, H.; Castaldi, M. J.; Etemad, S.; Pfefferle, W. C.; Khanna, V.; Smith, K. O., Rich-Catalytic Lean-Burn Combustion for Low-Single-Digit NOx Gas Turbines. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 2005, 127, (1), 27-35. (Best Applications Paper Award)