Steinman Hall ST-241
(212) 650 8584
(212) 650 8013
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1984 M.S. University of California, Berkeley, 1979 B.A.Sc., University of Toronto, 1978
Fluid Mechanics Reactor Physics and Engineering Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics
Multiphase flow and phase change heat transfer, nuclear reactor thermal-hydraulics and safety analysis, microfluidics, micro-heat pipes, microgravity fluid physics and transport phenomena, thermal energy storage.
Keynote Papers and Presentations
- Kawaji, M., Fournaison, L. and Guilpart, J., 2007. Understanding of Ice Slurry and Low Temperature Phase Change Slurries for Thermal Storage and Transport Applications, Paper ICR07-E1-1068 in Proc. of the International Congress of Refrigeration, August 21-26, 2007, Beijing, China.
- Kawaji, M., 2008. Unique Aspects of Adiabatic Two-Phase Flow in Microchannels, a Keynote paper presented at the Third ECI International Conference on Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Microscale, September 21-26 2008, Whistler, B.C., Canada.
- Kawaji, M., 2010. Macroscopic and Microscale Phenomena encountered in Multiphase Energy Storage and Transport Systems, to be presented at the International Heat Transfer Conference, August 8-10, 2010, Washington D.C., USA.
- Kauffeld, M., Kawaji, M. and Egolf P.W., 2005. Handbook on Ice Slurries: Fundamentals and Engineering, International Institute of Refrigeration, Paris, France.
- Kabov O., Kawaji, M., Ohta H., and Zhao J.F. (Ed.), 2008. Journal of Microgravity Science and Technology, Vol. 20, No. 3-4, 2008.
- Kabov O., Kawaji, M. Ohta, H. and Zhao, J.F. (Ed.), 2009. Journal of Microgravity Science and Technology, Vol. 21, Supplement 1, September, 2009.
- Kawahara, A., Chung. P.M.Y., and Kawaji, M., 2002. Investigation of two-phase flow pattern, void fraction and pressure drop in a microchannel. International J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 28/9, pp. 1411-1435.
- Hassan, S., Lyubimova, T.P., Lyubimov, D.V. and Kawaji, M., 2006. The effects of vibrations on particle motion in a semi-infinite fluid cell. ASME J. Applied Mechanics, Vol. 73(4), pp. 610-621.
- Hassan, S., Kawaji M., Lyubimova T.P., and Lyubimov D.V., 2006. Effects of vibrations on particle motion near a wall: Existence of attraction force. International J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 32, pp. 1027-1054.
- Simic-Stefani, S., Kawaji, M. and Hu, H., 2006. G-jitter induced motion of a protein crystal under microgravity. Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 294, pp. 373-384.
- Simic-Stefani, S., Kawaji, M. and Yoda, S., 2006. Onset of oscillatory thermocapillary flow in acetone liquid bridges: the effect of evaporation. International J. Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, pp. 3167-3179.
- Pan, S., Yan, Y., Jaber, T.J., Kawaji, M. and Saghir, Z.M., 2007. Evaluation of thermal diffusion models for ternary hydrocarbon mixtures. J. of Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Vol. 32(3), pp. 241-249.
- Ide, H., Kimura, R., and Kawaji, M., 2007. Optical measurement of void fraction and bubble size distributions in a microchannel. Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 713-719.
- Pan, S., Saghir, Z.M., Jiang, C.G., Yan, Y. and Kawaji, M., 2007. A theoretical approach to evaluate thermodiffusion in alkanol aqueous solutions. J. of Chemical Physics, Vol. 126, 014502.
- Hassan, S. and Kawaji, M., 2008. The effects of vibrations on particle motion in a fluid cell: Effect of liquid viscosity. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 75, Issue 3, 031012 (published on line).
- Ide, H., Kimura, R., and Kawaji, M., 2009. Effect of Inlet Geometry on Adiabatic Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Flow in a Microchannel, Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 30, No.1 & 2, pp. 37-42.
- Kawaji, M., Mori, K., and Bolintineanu, D., 2009. The effects of inlet geometry and gas-liquid mixing on two-phase flow in microchannels, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 131, Issue 4, Article Number: 041302 (7 pages).
- Abbasi, A., Saghir, M.Z., and Kawaji, M., 2009. A New Approach for the Prediction of the Thermal Diffusion Factor in Associating Mixtures: Comparison with Existing Experimental Data. J. of Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Vol. 130, No. 6 Article Number: 064506 (6 pages).
- Abbasi, A., Saghir, Z. and Kawaji, M., 2009. A New Proposed Approach to Estimate the Thermodiffusion Coefficients for Linear Chain Hydrocarbon Binary Mixtures. J. Chemical Physics, Vol. 131, Issue 1, Article Number: 014502.
- Liang, R.Q. and Kawaji, M., 2009. Surface Oscillation of a Liquid Bridge Induced by Single and Multiple Vibrations. Microgravity Science and Technology, Vol. 21, Supplement 1, pp. 31-37.
- Santos, R. and Kawaji, M., 2010. Numerical Modeling and Experimental Investigation of Gas-Liquid Slug Formation in a Microchannel T-Junction. Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 36, pp. 314–323.
- Saadatmand, M. and Kawaji, M., 2010. Effect of Viscosity on Vibration-Induced Particle Motion under Microgravity. Microgravity Science and Technology, in press.
- Adiabatic gas-liquid two-phase flow in microchannels
- Buoyancy-induced intermittent flow phenomena in nuclear reactors
- Pulsating heat pipes with self-rewetting fluids
- Phase change nano-emulsions for thermal energy storage
- Vibration effects on fluid-particle systems under microgravity
- Marangoni convection in liquid bridges under microgravity
- Phase equilibrium behavior of bitumen-gas mixtures
- Thermal diffusion in binary and tertiary mixtures
- Heat transfer enhancement in rotary kilns