Service - Learning Language and Culture Program in Seville, Spain
Dates: January 2 - 23, 2024 | Credits: 3
Understand how the Spanish culture is manifest in the Spanish language through Service-Learning in Seville, Spain with professor Dr. Francisco Salgado-Robles. This program is designed to engage students both inside the classroom and out. By engaging with the local community of Seville through service projects, students will examine relevant community issues such as immigration, health care, and educational, political, and social programs. Through classroom meetings and community projects, students will study the effects of service learning on the acquisition of sociolinguistic competence and reflect on what is learned from the community.
Program and Activities
- On-site program orientation session with welcome packets and a walking tour of the surroundings
- Bilingual on-site support
- CC-CS classroom space for CUNY (CCNY) professor Dr. Francisco Salgado-Robles to teach course (2 hours per day)
- Academic investigation and service work in the community.
- Cultural guided visits in Seville including the Jewish Quarter (Santa Cruz) walking tour, the Cathedral of Seville, the Royal Palace (Alcazar), Palacio de las Dueñas, Mª Luisa Park, and Plaza de España walking tour
- Day study trip to Córdoba including accompaniment and guided visit to the Synagogue, the Mosque-Cathedral, and a walking tour of the Jewish Quarter
- Day study trip to Cádiz including accompaniment and guided walking tour of the city, and visit the Tavira Tower. On the way to Cádiz, stop in Jerez for a winery visit.
Before you go check the helpful links below:
Important Dates (mandatory meetings):
- Deadline for all Application Materials: October 16, 2023
- Interview with Study Abroad: October 20- 28, 2023
- Pre-Departure Orientation: November 3rd, 2023 at 12noon
- Deadline for payment of Program costs and CUNY - Tuition: October 16,, 2023
Application Fee: $300
CCNY Tuition: 3 Credits
*Program Costs: $2,350
Airfare: $700 (Estimated)
Program cost includes Homestays in Seville; Meals in Seville; Medical Insurance; On-site emergency Support; On-site airport pick-up; Welcome diner at local restaurant, public transportation card; Excursions, and cultural activities listed above.
Last Updated: 09/14/2023 10:23