Qualifying for In-State Tuition

Undocumented immigrants are welcome to apply to CCNY and should follow the same steps for admission as any other applicant.

All CCNY prospective students, including undocumented students, benefit from a 2001 New York State law that expanded who can qualify for in-state tuition. That law allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition if any of the following applies:

  • You were enrolled in CCNY or another CUNY institution for the Fall 2001 semester, and qualified for in-state tuition at that time; or
  • You attended a New York State high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend a CUNY institution within five years of receiving a New York State diploma; or
  • You attended an approved New York State program for the General Educational Development (GED) exam preparation, received a GED from New York State, and applied to attend a CUNY institution within five years of receiving the New York State GED. GED holders who graduated from High School either in the United States or overseas are not eligible for this benefit.

If you qualify based on the 2001 state law above, you are eligible for in-state tuition even if you have not resided in New York State for one year.

Note: To get in-state tuition as an undocumented immigrant, you must file an affidavit (a sworn, written statement signed by the applicant) stating that you will apply to legalize your status as soon as they are eligible. At CCNY, the admissions office can provide you with samples of the affidavits.

Last Updated: 06/10/2019 13:11