M.A. Americas / B.A. Black Studies

Accelerated M.A. in the Study of the Americas

4+1 Program
For B.A. Students Concentrating in Black Studies

The 4+1 program will enable talented and motivated undergraduate students in the BA in Area Studies with a concentration in Black Studies to enroll in courses in the MA in the Study of the Americas, to connect their concentration area to a broader study of the Americas, and to complete this MA degree soon after receiving a Bachelor’s degree in Area Studies with a concentration in Black Studies.  By more quickly receiving an advanced degree, successful participating students will be more competitive for jobs and for admissions to further graduate programs such as PhD programs.

How do I apply?

To apply, submit the following to srosenbaum@ccny.cuny.edu :

  • completed application form (download form)
  • a transcript
  • two letters of recommendation from a faculty member
  • personal statement describing your interest in the Study of the Americas and its connection to their concentration area.
What are the admissions requirements for the accelerated MA option?

To be admitted to the accelerated MA option, you must:

  • be a B.A. Student concentrating in Black Studies;
  • have at least 60 credits;
  • have taken the major requirements (BLST 10100 and BLST 10200); and
  • have an overall GPA of 3.0.

What is the accelerated MA option? Undergraduate students accepted to the Accelerated MA Program in the Study of the Americas will be able to apply up to 12 credits of graduate courses in the Study of the Americas to both their undergraduate BA in Area Studies with a concentration in Black Studies and the MA in the Study of the Americas requirements.

Do I need to maintain a certain GPA to stay in the accelerated MA option? Yes.  Undergraduate students in the accelerated MA option are required to maintain a GPA of 3.0 in both undergraduate courses and Master’s level courses.
 Students who are not making good progress toward the requirements or whose GPA falls below 3.0 in either undergraduate or graduate courses will be given one term to rectify the situation. Students unable to do so will be dismissed from the accelerated option.

How will I be billed for the MA classes I take while I am still an undergrad? Full-time undergraduate New York state residents will pay the undergraduate full-time tuition rate until they reach 120 credits (regardless of whether the courses are MA or BA courses). Part-time undergraduate students will pay the graduate tuition rate when taking an MA course.

Who will advise me? You will be advised on the undergraduate requirements and course selection by your assigned Academic Advisor and on the graduate requirements and course selection by the Graduate Director.

Last Updated: 02/24/2024 00:38