Graduation and Certification


Students must apply for graduation via CUNYfirst in advance of the expected date of graduation. If you are unable to do so, visit the Registrar's Office to file a paper application. Check with your advisor to make sure you have met all the requirements for graduation. If you discover that you will not be able to graduate as planned, you must rescind your application at the registrar's office and reapply for the next graduation date.


How do I apply for State certification?

The process of applying for certification consists of two parts: the student's responsibility and the College's. You must file an application with NYS through their TEACH Online Services application system. You can do this by downloading the Student Information Sheet from the Certification Office website and following the steps carefully. The College's responsibility is to submit an electronic recommendation on your behalf, which is done once the Bilingual Education and TESOL Program completes a degree audit and submits it to the College's Certification Officer, Mr. Jose Osorio. This is generally done around the time of graduation (February, September, and June), after all grades are in for the most recent semester. Once both pieces of information are in the State system, an evaluation will be done. If all items are satisfied, the State will issue the certificate, and you will appear in the State system as certified.

If you are ready to be certified and are not graduating (because you are in Bilingual Extension or TESOL D course of study which do not lead to academic degrees), send an email to your advisor to request that the School of Education submit to New York State an institutional recommendation for certification. Note that requests for certification recommendation must be completed by the same dates as applications for graduation.

What State certification exams do I have to take?

Requirements for New York State initial teaching certification


What are the program codes that are needed for the TEACH Online system?

Note that students in Bilingual Childhood Education (Streams A, B, & C) enter two codes each. Other students enter one code:

TESOL (Streams A & C): 25885
TESOL Certificate (Stream D) : 35519
TESOL (Fellows): 25884
Bilingual Childhood Education (Streams A &C):
Childhood Education: 25906
Bilingual Extension: 25901
Bilingual Childhood Education (Fellows): 25902
Bilingual Education (Stream B)
Bilingual Extension: 25901
Bilingual Special Education (Streams I & II):
Students w/ Disabilities 1-6: 25896
Bilingual Extension: 25901
Bilingual Special Education Fellows: Please see your advisor
Bilingual Childhood Education: 25926

Please contact the College's certification officer,Mr. Jose Osorio in North Academic Center, Room 3/210 ( ), for more information or with questions about certification.

Q: What if I am already certified in one subject area, and I am getting a second certification? Do I need to take all these exams, or just the new CST?
A: Just the CST in the area of your new certification.

Q: Is this information the same whether I am a graduate student or undergraduate?
A: Yes.

Q: What about the BEA, for the Bilingual Extension?
A: The BEA is required for the Bilingual Extension.

For more information:  NYSTCE Program Update

Where can I find more information?

You can find instructions for the Teach Online system here:

Student Information Sheet


Last Updated: 01/31/2024 08:58