This M.A. program in Mathematics Education offers students a rigorous course of instruction both in Mathematics content and in teaching Mathematics in grades 7-12, combining the requirements of a BS in mathematics and pedagogical course work and practical experience that lead to initial certification to teach in New York State. This is a 31-credit program and it is completed in approximately 2 years.
Eligibility and Admission Requirements:
- BA/BS degree in mathematics from an accredited institution with a GPA of a minimum of 3.0 (both overall, and in the content area);
- Demonstrated competence in the following content areas: Number Theory, Linear and Abstract Algebra, Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometry, Discrete Mathematics, Data Analysis and Statistics, History of Mathematics, and Calculus (including Advanced Calculus). A transcript review will determine if additional credits are needed;
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include: artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression;
- Two letters of recommendation.
Coursework and Fieldwork Information
The program welcomes working adults and teachers currently holding positions in public, charter or independent schools who wish to receive initial certification by NY State. All classes are offered once per week (usually for 2.5 hours) during the evening, starting at 4:50 PM. Several courses are offered in hybrid on online format. However, all candidates are required to complete fieldwork, currently set at a minimum of 100 hours in a New York public school. Fieldwork hours are associated with select courses and are expected to be completed concurrently with the course. Finally, during their last semester candidates are expected to complete their Teaching Practicum (“student teaching”) which is a full-time graded practicum in a school under the supervision of an accomplished teacher. Candidates who currently hold a position in a school may request to complete their teaching practicum in their own classrooms.
Coursework in the School of Education:
EDUC 7500A Adolescent Learning and Development (3cr, 15 hrs fw)
EDSE 2800E Contemporary Topics In Mathematics Education (3 cr, 15 hrs fw)
SPED 5200K Introduction to Inclusive Practices in Adolescent STEM Classrooms
(3 cr, 30 hrs fw)
EDSE 6100E Methods for Teaching Secondary Mathematics (4 cr, 30 hrs fw)
EDSE 6400E Curriculum Development in Secondary School (4 cr, 30 hrs fw)
MATHE 6000C High School Mathematics from an Advanced Perspective (3 cr)
MATHE 6300 Mathematical Problem Solving (3 Cr)
Teaching Practicum Courses (to be taken concurrently after all other courses are completed):
EDSE 7600G Teaching Practicum in the Secondary School (3 cr)
EDSE 7603G Seminar in Teaching Secondary School (2 cr)
EDUC 1900G Child Abuse & Health Seminar (0 cr)
Capstone Research Course:
EDSE 7200I Action Research in Mathematics Education (3 cr)
The program satisfies the requirements for a New York Initial Certificate for teaching mathematics in Grades 7-12, pending:
- Earning a passing score on the CST (004) Mathematics Exam;
- Earning a passing score on the EAS Exam;
- Demonstrate understanding of the following areas: algebra, geometry, number theory, discrete mathematics, probability and statistics, calculus, mathematical logic and proof, problem solving, mathematical communication, connections and applications of mathematics, research based instructional and assessment strategies, the use of technology in the mathematics classroom, the ability to meet the needs of diverse learners, and the ability to teach problem solving, prior to graduation from the program. Candidates may demonstrate this knowledge base by completing coursework at the undergraduate or graduate level in the content or education area, or in the presentation of a portfolio of work demonstrating the attainment of this knowledge base; and
- Demonstrating satisfactory performance in courses and the student internship.
Last Updated: 03/09/2023 15:34