Share This

Fact Sheet


Fact Sheet


  • The City College of New York


  • Main Campus: 160 Convent Avenue, New York, NY 10031
  • Center for Worker Education: 25 Broadway, New York, NY 10004


  • Main Number: (212) 650-7000
  • Office of Institutional Advancement and Communications: (212) 650-5310


  • 37 contiguous acres stretching along Convent Avenue between W. 130th Street and W. 141st Street.
  • The century-old neo-gothic buildings designed by George B. Post, which surround the North Campus Quad, are listed on the United States and New York Registers of Historic Places
  • Two new science research buildings scheduled for completion in 2014 represent a $1 billion investment in capital construction.


  • President:  Dr. Vincent Boudreau
  • Mary Erina Driscoll, Interim Provost



  • City College is home to 21 research institutes in the sciences, engineering and social sciences.  They are engaged in ongoing investigations in such areas as nanoscience, photonics, alternative energy, water resources, transportation and public policy.  For 2010 – 11, funded research at the College totaled $66.9 million.


  • Morris Raphael Cohen (Main) Library plus six specialized or branch libraries: Architecture Library, Art Visual Library, Center for Worker Education Library, Dominican Studies Library, Music Library and Science and Engineering Library.  The collection includes 1.44 million books, 50,000 periodicals, 1,000,000 digital images and 240 databases.


  • Total: 16,544
  • Undergraduate: 13,315
  • Graduate: 3,229

Student Profile

  • The City College of New York is ranked by "U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges" number one in diversity among masters-level universities where Hispanics are the largest ethnic group.  CCNY students hail from 153 countries and speak 99 languages besides English.
  • Ethnicity: Hispanic, 32 percent; African-American, 22 percent, Asian, 22 percent, White, 24 percent
  • Gender: Male: 47 percent; Female: 53 percent

Student Awards

  • Rhodes Scholarships: David L.V. Bauer, 2009; Lev A. Sviridov, 2005
  • Truman Scholarships: Ayodele Oti and Gareth Rhodes, 2011; Don Gomez, 2009; David L.V. Bauer, 2008; Claudio Simpkins, 2005
  • Goldwater Scholarships: Alla Zamarayeva, 2013; Johnson Ho, 2011; David L.V. Bauer and Itamar M. Balisha, 2007; Philipa Njau, 2005
  • Javits Fellowships: Kimberly Paige Young, 2009; Deborah M. Wolf, 2006
  • Fulbright Scholarships and Teaching Assistantships: Kayhan Irani, Susan M. Tsang and Humaira Hansrod, 2012; Ilan McKenna and Sara Roffino, 2009; Corey Sullivan, 2008; Jessica Tibbets, 2007
  • NSF Research Fellowship: Alla Zamarayeva, Howie Neal Chu, Elaa Hilou, Daniel Lurie, Jason Martinez, Aniqua Rahman, Mariya Shcheglovitova, 2014; Ru Chen, Dane Christie, Jan Stepinski, Julius Adebayo Edson, Philip Liu, Arash Nowbahar, Aleksey Ruditskiy, Jake V. Vaynshteyn, 2013; Jaeseung Hahn, Deborah Opeyemi Ayeni, Theresa Lynn Carranza, Charlie Corredor, Zvi Hershel Fishman, Christopher Donald Hue, Jemilas Caplan Kester, Stephen Ma and Christie Anne Sukhdeo, 2012;Anthony Pang, Giovanni Milione and Evangeleen Pattison, 2011
  • Math for America Fellowship: Yekaterina Garmash, Michael McDonald and Mallory Villa, 2012; Jian Liu, 2011


  • Full Time: 555; Part Time: 894
  • 95.6 percent of full-time faculty members hold Ph.D.'s or terminal degrees in their fields.  The faculty includes Fulbright scholars, Guggenheim fellows, MacArthur "Genius" Grant recipients and winners of the Pulitzer Prize, Emmy Awards, GRAMMY Awards and National Book Awards.  In addition, current faculty members collectively hold 12 memberships in the National Academy of Science, National Academy of Engineering and Institute of Medicine.
  • CCNY has 22 University Distinguished Professors and 14 named chairs, more than any other CUNY college.

Faculty Honors

  • 2014 - Elliot Jurist, American Psychological Association Division 39 Scholarship and Research Award.
  • 2013 - Debra Auguste, Presidential Early Career Award; Robert Alfano, American Physical Society Arthur L. Schawlow Prize in Laser Science; Sheldon Weinbaum, American Academy of Arts & Sciences Fellow; Carla Capetti, Fulbright Scholar; Michael Sorkin, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award, Paul Wachtel, American Psychological Association Division 39 Scholarship and Research Award; Arthur Szlam, Sloan Research Fellowship
  • 2012 - Barbara Ann Naddeo, Jaques Barzun Prize; Ruth Stark, Sloan Public Service Award; Robert Alfano, Britton Chance Biomedical Optics Award
  • 2011 - Jonathan Pieslak, Guggenheim Fellow; Ruth Stark, American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow; Robert Paaswell, Council of University Transportation Centers Transportation Education Award
  • 2010 – Joseph Birman, American Physical Society Andrei Sakharov Prize; Marie Nazon, Fulbright Scholar; George Ranalli, AIA-NY Sidney L. Strauss Award
  • 2009 – Catherine Franklin and Amita Gupta, Fulbright Scholars; Michael Sorkin, Fellow of American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
  • 2008 – Morton Denn, AIChE Founders Award; Hasanthika Sirisena, Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers' Award; Michio Kaku, Klopsteg Memorial Award; Latif Jiji, Ralph Coats Roe Award; Robert Alfano, Charles Hard Townes Award.
  • 2007 – Beth Baron, Carnegie Scholar; Lance Brown, Topaz Medallion.
  • 2006 –Lynn Appelbaum, PRSA College of Fellows; Sally Hoskins, National Academies Education Fellow; Jonathan Pieslak, American Academy of Arts and Letters Fellow; Hernán A. Makse, Mayor's Award for Excellence in Science and Technology.
  • 2005 – Judith Stein, Fulbright Distinguished Chair; Charles Watkins, American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow; Myriam Sarachik, L'oral-Uneso Women in Science Award.


  • 1847 - Founded as the Free Academy by Townsend Harris.  Original building located at 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue in Manhattan.
  • 1907 - Uptown campus, consisting of five buildings along Convent Avenue designed by George P. Post, opens.
  • 1919 - City College School of Technology and City College School of Business and Civic Administration established.
  • 1921 - School of Education established.
  • 1930 –Women admitted to graduate and business programs.
  • 1950 – Men's basketball team wins NCAA and NIT tournaments.
  • 1951 – City College becomes entirely coeducational.
  • 1953 - CCNY acquires campus of Manhattanville College and expands south to 130th Street.
  • 1958 – City College School of Business and Civic Administration becomes Baruch School of Business and Civic Administration.
  • 1961 – The City University of New York established as umbrella institution for public colleges in New York City.
  • 1962 – School of Technology becomes School of Engineering and moves into new home in Steinman Hall.
  • 1968 – School of Architecture established.  Baruch School of Business and Civic Administration becomes Baruch College of City University of New York.
  • 1971 - Marshak Science Building, named for Robert Marshak, a renowned physicist and President of City College, opens.
  • 1973 - The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education is established to meet growing demand for primary care physicians.
  • 1984 - North Academic Center, housing classrooms, offices, cafeterias and library, opens as largest academic building in CUNY system.
  • 2005 - School of Engineering becomes the Grove School of Engineering, named for Dr. Andrew S. Grove, '58, a CCNY alumnus and co-founder of Intel Corp.
  • 2006 - The Towers at The City College of New York, the first residence hall built on a CUNY campus, opens.
  • 2009 - School of Architecture becomes Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture, named for Bernard Spitzer, '43, a New York City real estate developer, and moves into a new home on the south campus.
  • 2013 - Division of Social Science becomes Colin L. Powell School for Civic and Global Leader Leadership, named for Gen. Colin L. Powell, USA (ret.), '58, the first African American to serve as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and U.S. secretary of state.

Notable Alumni

Public Service

  • Gen. Colin L. Powell, (USA) ret., '58, first African-American chair of Joint Chiefs of Staff and first African-American Secretary of State.
  • Felix Frankfurter, Class of 1902, former U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
  • Edward I. Koch, '45, former Mayor of New York.


  • Andrew S. Grove, '60, Co-Founder of Intel Corp. and benefactor of Grove School of Engineering.
  • Linda Kaplan Thaler, '72, CEO of The Kaplan Thaler Group, twice voted as fastest-growing advertising agency in the United States.
  • Josh S. Weston, '50, former Chairman and CEO of Automated Data Processing Inc.
  • Sy Sternberg, former Chairman and CEO of New York Life.

Arts and Letters

  • E.Y. "Yip" Harburg, '18, lyricist who wrote the songs for "The Wizard of Oz.".
  • Faith Ringgold, '55 B.S., '58 M.A, award-winning painter, quilter and author of children's books.
  • Oscar Hijuelos, '75, Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist.
  • Irving Kristol, '40, writer dubbed "godfather of neoconservatism."

Science and Education

  • Jonas E. Salk, '34, developer of first polio vaccine.
  • Matthew Goldstein, '63, Chancellor, City University of New York.
  • Mario Runco, '74, former astronaut who served on three space missions.

In addition, 10 City College graduates are Nobel laureates, placing the institution among the top ranks of public colleges and universities nationwide.