Dr. Jizhong Xiao joined the City College of New York (CCNY) in 2002 and is currently a Professor in the Electrical Engineering Department of the City College, City University of New York (CCNY/CUNY City College). He serves as the advisor of the PhD program in Electrical Engineering at CUNY City College, as well as a doctoral faculty member of the Ph.D. program in Computer Science at the CUNY Graduate Center. Dr. Xiao started the robotics research program at CUNY City College and is the founding director of CCNY Robotics Lab (website:http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/blog) and the Center for Perceptual Robotics, Intelligent Sensors and Machines (PRISM Center). In recent years, he has received over US$3.7 million research grants from U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF), Army Research Office (ARO), Department of Transportation and industry and has published more than 120 research articles in peer reviewed journal and conferences.
Dr. Xiao is a recipient of NSF CAREER award in 2007 and the CCNY Outstanding Mentoring Award in 2011. He received the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 2013~2015. Dr. Xiao has served the robotics community in various roles of many conferences and served as guest editor and reviewers for major robotics journals and conferences and proposal evaluation panelist for NSF and ARO. He is a senior member of IEEE.
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University, 2002.
M.Eng., Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1999.
B.S. and M.S., East China Institute of Technology, Nanjing, P. R. China, 1990, and 1993.
Linear Systems I (EE205)
Senior Design I & II (EE598.66, 598.67, Robotics and Embedded Systems Track)
Introduction to Robotics (I5501)
Advanced Mobile Robots (I7501)
Linear Systems I (EE205)
Professor Xiao's research interests include robotics and control, cyber-physical systems, autonomous navigation and 3D simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), real-time and embedded computing, assistive technology, multi-agent systems and swarm robotics.
- van Dryanovski, Roberto Valenti, Jizhong Xiao,* "An Open-Source Navigation System for Micro-Air Vehicles", Autonomous Robots, 34:177~188, 2013.
- Xiaochen Zhang, Yi Sun, Jizhong Xiao*, "Radio Source Search Using Force Field Vector Weighted By Received Signal Strength Gradient", International Journal of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp25~35, 2013.
- Rex Wang*, Jizhong Xiao, Samleo Joseph, Shouling He, "A Mixed Model Data Association for Simultaneous Localization and Mapping in Dynamic Environments", International Journal of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2013, pp1~15, 2013.
- Yi Sun, Jizhong Xiao, "Multicode Sparse-Sequence CDMA: Approach to Optimum Performance by Linearly Complex WSLAS Detectors", Wireless Personal Communications, Sept. 30, 2012.
- Xinan Pan, Hongguang Wang, Yong Jiang, Cen Yu, Jizhong Xiao, "Automatic Kinematic Modelling of a Modular Reconfigurable Robot", Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, Volume 35 Issue 7, pp. 922 – 932, October 2013.
- Flavio Cabrera-Mora, Jizhong Xiao, "A Flooding Algorithm for Multi-robot Exploration", IEEE Transactions on System, Man and Cybernetics: Part-B: Cybernetics, Vol. 42, Issue 3, 850-863, 2012.
- Ravi Kaushik, Jizhong Xiao, Samleo L. Joseph, William Morris, "Polygon-based 3D Scan Registration with Dual-robots in Structured Indoor Environments", International Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp101~123, 2012.
- Jun-Guo Lu, Jizhong Xiao, Weidong Chen, "Maximal unidirectional perturbation bounds for robust -stability of matrix second –order systems with one-parameter perturbations", Automatica, A Journal of IFAC -- The International Federation of Automatic Control, Elsevier, Vol. 48, Issue 5, pp995-998, May 2012.
- Ravi Kaushik, Jizhong Xiao, "Accelerated Patch-based Planar Clustering of Noisy Range Images in Structured Indoor Environments", Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 60, Issue 4, pp. 584~598, 2012.
- Wenjia Tang, Jizhong Xiao, "Compact, Cylinder Conformal Multi-beam Antenna", International Journal on Communications, Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 6, pp534-538, Dec. 2011.
- Jun-Guo Lu, Jizhong Xiao, Weidong Chen, "Quadratic Stability and Stabilization of Matrix Second-order Time-varying Systems", International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Wiley, online first in 29 September 2011, appeared in Int. J. Robust. Nonlinear Control 2012; 22:2100~2110.
- Igor Labutov, Carlos Jaramillo, Jizhong Xiao, "Generating Near-Spherical Range Panoramas by Fusing Optical Flow and Stereo from a Single-Camera Folded Catadioptric Rig", Machine Vision and Applications, Springer, pp. 1-12, 17 September 2011.
- Peter Brass, Flavio Cabrea-Mora, Andrea Gasparri, Jizhong Xiao, "Multi-Robot Tree and Graph Exploration", IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp707~717, Aug. 2011.
- Ronggang Yue, Jizhong Xiao, Shaoping Wang, and Samleo Joseph, "3D Path Planning of a Climbing Robot Using Mixed Integer Linear Programming", Advanced Robotics, Vol. 24, pp2087-2118, Dec. 2010.
- Rex Wong, Jizhong Xiao, Samleo Joseph, "A Robust Data Association for Simultaneous Localization and Mapping in Dynamic Environments", INFORMATION, pp1869- 1883, Vol.13, No. 6, Nov. 2010.
- Xiaohai Li and Jizhong Xiao, "Swarming in Homogeneous Environments: A Social Interaction Based Theoretical Framework", Journal of Theoretical Biology, Elsevier, Vol. 264, Issue 3, pages 747-759, June 2010.
- Ronggang Yue, Jizhong Xiao, Kai Li, Jun Du and Shaoping Wang, "Design and Performance Analysis of Retractable-claw Wheels for Field Robots", International Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp250~258, 2010.
- Jizhong Xiao, Hongguang Wang, Advances in Climbing Robots, Contemporary Issues in Systems Science and Engineering, Edited by M. C. Zhou, H-X Li and M. Weijnen, IEEE Press/Wiley, to appear in 2013.
- Ronggang Yue, Jizhong Xiao, Kai Li, Jun Du and Shaoping Wang, A Field Robot with Rotated-claw-wheels, Chapter 2, Mobile Robots --- State of the Art in Land, Sea, Air, and Collaborative Missions, In-Tech Education and Publishing, ISBN 978-3-902613-39-4, Vienna, Austria, 2009.
- Jizhong Xiao and Ali Sadegh, City-Climber: a new generation of wall-climbing robots, Chapter 18, Climbing and Walking Robots--- Towards New Applications, pp383-402, In-Tech Education and Publishing, ISBN 978-3-902613-16-5, Vienna, Austria, Oct. 2007.