Additional Departments/Affiliated Programs
Sustainability in the Urban Environment
Nicholas Madamopoulos received the B.S. degree in Physics (with honors) from the University of Patras, Patras, Greece, in 1993 and the Ph.D. degree in Optical Science and Engineering from CREOL/College of Optics and Photonics, University of Central Florida, Orlando, in 1998. His Ph.D. specialization was in photonic information processing systems, where he introduced novel photonic delay lines for phased array antenna applications, as well as photonic processing modules for fiber-optic communications.
He is an Associate Professor at the Department of Electrical Engineering, City College of CUNY, since October 2007. His research interests include photonic information processing systems and subsystems for telecom and non-telecom applications. Before joining the City College he was a Research Associate at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California-Santa Barbara. He has also spent many years conducting research for the industry, where he served as Sr. Research Engineer for Calient Networks, Inc. (Santa Barbara, CA), Member of Technical Staff for Lucent-Bell Labs (Somerset, NJ), and Sr. Research Scientist for Corning, Inc. (Corning, NY and Somerset, NJ).
Dr. Madamopoulos is a Senior Member of IEEE-Photonics Society. He was one of the founding members of the first IEEE-Photonics Society Student chapter (Orlando Chapter) and he served as treasurer and president for several years. He has served as vice-Chair and Chair of the IEEE-Photonics Society Princeton-Central New Jersey (PCNJ) Section. He is a reviewer for IEEE, OSA and Elsevier publications and he has served in the program committee of a variety of Conferences. He received a New Focus Student Essay Prize in 1996, the SPIE Educational Scholarship in Optical Engineering in 1997, the Graduate Merit Fellowship Award in 1998 and the New Focus/OSA Student Award in 1998.
- Ph.D. in Optical Science and Engineering, CREOL/The College of Optics and Photonics, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL. 1998
- B.S. in Physics, University of Patras, Patras, Greece. 1993
EE428 Photonics Laboratory
EE598.66 Senior Design I
EE598.67 Senior Design II
EE312 Communications Engineering
EE G6908 Advanced Photonics
- Microwave photonics
- Photonic sensors
- Integrated photonics
- Laser based displays
- Optics for energy
- Photonic systems for telecom
- Passive optical networks
Selected Journal Publications
- S. Peiris, N. Madamopoulos, N. Antoniades, D. Richards, M. A. Ummy, and R. Dorsinville, "Engineering an Extended Gain Bandwidth Hybrid Raman—Optical Parametric Amplifier for Next Generation CWDM PON," IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 939-946, March 1, 2014.
- D. Richards, M. A. Losada, N. Antoniades, A. López, J. Mateo, X. Jiang, and N. Madamopoulos, "Modeling Methodology for Engineering SI-POF and Connectors in an Avionics System," IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 468-475, Feb. 1, 2013.
- S. Peiris*, N. Madamopoulos, N. Antoniades, M.A. Ummy, M. Ali, R. Dorsinville, "Optimization of Gain-Bandwidth and Gain-Ripple of a Hybrid Raman-Parametric Amplifier for Access Network Applications," Applied Optics, Vol. 51, No. 32, pp. 7834-7841, 10 November 2012.
- M. A. Ummy, N. Madamopoulos, M. Razani, R. Dorsinville, "Switchable dual-wavelength SOA-based fiber laser with continuous tunability over the C-band at room-temperature," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 21, pp. 23367-23373, 2012.
- R. Li*, N. Madamopoulos, Z. Zhu, L Xie, "Performance comparison of an all fiber based Laser Doppler Vibrometer for remote acoustical signals detection using short and long coherence length lasers," Applied Optics, Vol. 51, No. 21,pp. 5011-5018, 20 July 2012.
- N. Madamopoulos, S. Peiris*, N. Antoniades, D. Richards, B. Pathak*, G. Ellinas, R. Dorsinville, and M. A. Ali, "A Fully distributed 10G EPON-based Converged Fixed-Mobile Networking Transport Infrastructure for Next-Generation Broadband Access," IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communication and Networks, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp.366-377, May 2012.
Selected Conference Proceedings
N. Madamopoulos, A. Prescod* and B. Dingel, "Interferometric modulator with phase-modulating and cavity-modulating components (IMPACC) for high linearity microwave applications," INVITED paper in Proc. ICPS 2013, The International Conference on Photonics Solutions, Pattaya City, Thailand, May 26-28, 2013 (Co-sponsored by OSA, SPIE, IEEE).
N. Madamopoulos, A. Vlachokostas*, C. Volkmann, "Prismatic Louver Active Facades for Illumination and Thermal Harvesting in High Rise and Commercial Buildings," Proc. ICPS 2013, The International Conference on Photonics Solutions, Pattaya City, Thailand, May 26-28, 2013 (Co-sponsored by OSA, SPIE, IEEE).
N. Madamopoulos,J. Kuang*, A. Prescod*, "Adjustable Transfer Function Optical Filter for Microwave Applications," Broadband Access Communication Technologies VI, SPIE-OPTO 2012, San Francisco, California, USA, 21-26 Jan 2012.
N. Madamopoulos, V. Kaman, S. Yuan, O. Jerphagnon, R. Helkey, and J. Bowers, "Large Optical 3D MEMS Switches in Access Networks," Proc. SPIE 6774, Broadband Access Communication Technologies II, 67760I, Boston, MA, Sept. 2007.