Department Chair, Professor
Carried out in depth experimental studies of self phase modulation (SPM), degenerate four wave mixing (DFWM), cross phase modulation (XPM), stimulated Raman scattering (SRS), phase conjugation, and Raman induced phase conjugation (RIPC) in bulk and structured materials. These studies lead to the discovery of new materials with large nonlinear responses.
Investigated silica based photonic crystals as dispersion compensation devices over a broad spectral range (500nm to 2000nm).
Designed and tested several optical computing schemes including an optical phase conjugation based residue arithmetic computation scheme, and an ultrafast digital optical signal processor using a Venn diagram based spatial encoding technique.
Investigated the optical nonlinearity of semiconductor quantum dots imbedded in transparent polymer matrices. This work suggests that these structures could be used in efficient optical limiting devices.
Investigated novel nonlinear distributed p-n junctions made of p-doped and n-doped single-wall carbon nanotubes. This concept can be used to explore coherent arrays of more complex structures for nano-circuits applications.
Participated in the design long haul DWDM optical communication systems. This work included the characterization and optimization of the nonlinear penalty, chromatic dispersion, polarization mode dispersion, and polarization dependent losses in DWDM systems.
Designed and tested distributed and lumped Raman amplifiers for undersea long haul applications.
Developed and tested an ultra-wide bandwidth hybrid fiber optic parametric/Raman amplifier.
Designed and experimentally demonstrated new Ethernet passive optical network architectures which provide added flexibility and simplicity in the deployment of access networks.
- Ph.D., Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia, 1976.
- B.S., M.S., Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia, 1972.
- Introduction to Lasers (F5800)
- Optical Signal Processing (I8500)
Fabrication and nonlinear optical characterization of nanomaterials and structures. All optical devices. Fiber amplifiers. Optical communication.
- Polarization Sensitive Imaging with qubits.Vitaly Sukharenko and Roger Dorsinville. Appl. Sci. 2022, 12, 2027. https://doi.org/10.3390/app12042027
- Birefringence and Scattering Characterization using Polarization Sensitive Quantum Optical Coherence Tomography. Vitaly Sukharenko, Simeon Bikorimana and Roger Dorsinville. Optics Letters, Vol.46(12), 2799-2802 (2021)
- Plasmonic Modulation and Demodulation Structure for the Future Optical WDM Devices in Communication System. Vitaly Sukharenko, Roger Dorsinville and Djafar Mynbaev. Solid State Electronics Volume 155, May 2019, Pages 159-162; doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2019.03.022
- Synthesis of Selenium nanoparticles and their Nonlinear Optical Properties. S. Bikorimana, A. Suslov , P. Lama, V. Sukharenko, A. Walser and R. Dorsinville. Journal of Nonlinear Optical Physics and Materials, 26 (2) (2017); doi.org/10.1142/S0218863517500163
- A Novel Technique for Designing High Power Semiconductor Optical Amplifier (SOA)-Based Tunable Fiber Compound-Ring Lasers Using Low Power Optical Components by Muhammad A. Ummy, Simeon Bikorimana and Roger Dorsinville. Appl. Sci. 2017, 7(5), 478; doi:10.3390/app7050478.
- Terahertz-wave Characterization of LTG-GaAs Thin-film Photoconductive Antenna. Rubén Darío Velásquez Ríos, Siméon Bikorimana, Roger Dorsinville and Sang-Woo Seo. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol 23, No 4 (2017) DOI: 10.1109/JSTQE.2016.2633866.
- Nonlinear optical responses in two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenide multilayer: WS₂, WSe₂, MoS₂ and Mo₀.₅W₀.₅S₂. S. Bikorimana, P. Lama, A. Walser, R. Dorsinville, S. Anghel, A. Mitioglu, A. Micu, and L. Kulyuk. Optics Express, Vol 24, No 18, pp 20685-20695 (2016), doi: 10.1364/OE.24.020685 (IF: 3.669)
- Beam Combining of SOA-based Bidirectional Tunable Fiber Nested Ring Lasers with Continuous Tunability over the C-band at Room Temperature. M. A. Ummy, S. Bikorimana, N. Madamopoulos, and R. Dorsinville. Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol 34, No 16, pp 3703-3709 (2016), doi:10.1109/JLT.2016.2586743.
- Synthesis of a diacetylene-containing polyisophthalate and its third-order nonlinear optical susceptibility. Miriam F. Beristain, Alejandra Ortega, Gustavo Gomez-Sosa, Takeshi Ogawa, Faisal Halim, Ardie Walser and Roger Dorsinville. Designed Monomers and Polymers 19, issue 4, pp. 340-346, (2016). doi: 10.1080/15685551.2016.1152544.
- A Bow-tie Photoconductive Antenna Heterogeneously Integrated with a Low-Temperature-Grown GaAs Thin-film on Silicon Host Substrate for Terahertz Wave Generation and Detection" by Velásquez Ríos Rubén Darío; Bikorimana Siméon; Ummy Muhammad Ali; Dorsinville Roger; Seo, Sang-Woo. J. Opt. 17 (2015) 125802 (9pp). doi:10.1088/2040-8978/17/12/125802 (2015).