Each Secondary Spanish Education graduate program has its own set of pre-requisites. Please refer to the graduate programs page for specific details.
To maintain one's status as a secondary Spanish teacher candidate a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 GPA.
- Complete all of the coursework in the program.
- Successfully complete 100 hours of pre-student teaching field experience*.
*Note: The educational core includes over 100 hours of pre-student teaching experience in the New York City Schools. Teacher candidates must have time during normal public school hours to fulfill this requirement.
Admission to student teaching requires completion of the student teaching application during the first 10-weeks of the semester prior to student teaching. Contact the Office of Field Experiences and Student Teaching (North Academic Center, Room 6/207A or 212-650-6915) for information regarding the deadlines and application process. Admissions requirements include:
- Completion of all Spanish and education course requirements.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Successful completion of 100 hours of field experience (part of education requirements).
- A passing score on the Educating All Students Test (EAS) or the Content Specialty Test - Spanish (CST) AND an evaluation fo Advanced-Low or higher on ACTFL's Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). (A copy of the test scores must be submitted to your advisor.)
During the student teaching semester you will register for:
- EDSE 7600G: Student Teaching in Middle and Secondary Education (4 credits) - This is a full-time, full-semester, supervised teaching experience in the New York City Public Schools.
- EDSE 7603G: Seminar on Student Teaching in Secondary Schools (2 credits)
- EDUC 1900G: Workshop on Child Abuse Identification, Violence Prevention, Dignity for All Students (DASA), and Other Professional Topics Seminar (0 credits)
To be recommended for certification, teacher candidates must:
- Complete the Master's degree program with a GPA of 3.0 or better and apply for graduation.
- Successfully complete the student teaching semester (if applicable).
- Submit an application for certification to the City College Certification Officer.
Last Updated: 03/16/2022 13:20