DS-2019 and J-1 Information

New Exchange Visitors on a J-1 Visa

Prior to coming to CCNY students & scholars must complete a request for a DS-2019 Form found below

DS-2019 Request Form

Financial Certification Document - please contact us for this overview


J-1 Exchange Visitors must also must have proof that they are proficient in English

Proficiency Verification Requirement- please contact us for this overview


Exchange Visitors With J Visa Classification

The City College of New York has been a designated exchange visitor program sponsor since 1954.  Our programs strive to foster an exchange of ideas between Americans and foreign nationals and to stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts.
Approved categories for The City College exchange visitor program
  • J-1 Status/Visa for exchange visitor category: STUDENTS
    • The student's visit is during the Spring or Fall semester and is expected to have full-time course enrollment
  • J-1 Status/Visa for exchange visitor category: RESEARCH SCHOLAR
    • Research, consulting with flexibility to teach; program will be longer than 6 months
  • J-1 Status/Visa for exchange visitor category: SHORT-TERM SCHOLAR
    • Research, consulting with flexibility to teach; program CANNOT be longer than 6 months
  • J-1 Status/Visa for exchange visitor category: PROFESSOR
    • May ONLY teach at The City College; may not teach at other CUNY colleges
  • J-1 Status/Visa for exchange visitor category: STUDENT INTERN
    • Student is fulfilling internship requirement from home country institution and will not be enrolling for CCNY coursework
    • CCNY faculty must complete government Form DS-7002 
The Office of International Student and Scholar Service provides assistance and services to CUNY student exchange program administrators, The City College faculty who invite exchange research scholars and professors, and the exchange visitors studying and working on our campus.
Health Insurance in the United States
All J-1 holders and their dependents are required by Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations to have health insurance with specific minimum coverage requirements while in the United States.
Full-Time College Employees Have College Insurance
  • If you are a full-time employee of The City College on the College or The Research Foundation payroll and receiving full-time benefits of the College, it is most likely that you and your dependents will be eligible to receive health insurance through your College benefits package. Therefore, you should ascertain from your hiring department whether you will be eligible for this benefit. If you are receiving health insurance as a benefit of your employment, you should wait to talk to a benefits officer in the Human Resources office at The City College or the CUNY Research Foundation.
Exchange Visitors without College Insurance
  • If you are not a full-time employee of The City College, you must obtain health insurance from an outside carrier. While it is your responsibility to select, obtain and maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any of your dependents in the U.S. on J-2 status, The City College would like to provide you with some early guidance in the confusing and expensive world of health insurance. If you will not obtain acceptable health insurance before arriving in the U.S., the following information will be useful to you.

Private Health Insurance
  • Most health insurance in the U.S. is private. This means that you must apply to a private company in order to obtain insurance, your application must be approved, and you must make timely payments of your monthly premiums in order to remain insured. Health coverage for individuals is significantly less expensive than coverage that includes family members. Some insurance policies are supplements to other policies.


Understanding Health Insurance Language
  • There are many other coverage conditions, coverage limitations and coverage exclusions - not regulated by the Exchange Visitor Program - which will be part of the insurance policies you will encounter. You must understand these details in order to make an informed choice.
  • Insurance companies often use words in their policies with very specific meanings, relevant to their business. It is extremely important that, before purchasing any insurance policy, you understand as much as possible about your policy and its conditions.You are purchasing a product from a health insurance company; do not hesitate to ask them as many questions as necessary, as often as necessary.
The following is a list of approximate definitions of terms and conditions often found in U.S. health insurance policies:
  • Policy (whole): A contract with a health insurance company providing for a broad range of medical treatments and/or payments in case of accidents or illness. Most whole policies usually provide a standard set of benefits, but the provisions, conditions and benefits of different policies can vary widely.
  • Supplement: A policy providing only very specific, limited benefits (i.e.: medical evacuation, repatriation of remains), and whose benefits can supplement benefits by another policy you already have.
  • Premium: The amount you must pay each month to purchase the insurance coverage. In some policies, the premium varies with the age of the insured(s).
  • Dependent coverage: Coverage for your spouse or children. Sometimes, dependents can be enrolled in a policy independent of you. 
  • Deductible: The amount of money you must pay, in each case of accident or illness, before the insurance starts paying. Most policies have a deductible.
  • Application Deadline: Coverage must begin the day the program begins and last the entire duration of your stay.                  
  • Coverage Period: The units of time in which the insurance can be bought (i.e.: six months, one year). Most policies are renewable, but the premiums may increase at renewal.
  • Coverage: The percent of costs the insurance will pay and the maximum amount up to which the insurance will pay per accident or illness, or per coverage period. The coverage starts after you pay the deductible.
  • Hospitalization: Usually includes a semi-private room, doctor's fees, drugs, x-rays, laboratory tests, etc. Sometimes there is a limit on the number of days covered.
  • Maternity: It includes visits to your doctor, the delivery and related hospital charges. Sometimes policies limit or do not offer this coverage. Some policies do not cover abortions.
  • Prescription:Coverage for medications ordered by a doctor for use outside of the hospital.
  • Dental: Most policies cover injuries to teeth, not preventive or maintenance dental care.
  • Evacuation: The amount the insurance policy will pay if you need to be transported to your home country for medical treatment.
  • Repatriation: The amount the insurance company will pay to transport your remains to your country.
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment: The amount the insurance will pay if you are killed or maimed accidentally.
  • Exclusions: These are the injuries, illnesses or treatments for which the insurance will not pay. "Usual Exclusions" normally means pre-existing conditions, eye care, foot care, infertility and birth control, injuries while playing organized sports or piloting an airplane, injuries or death from war, terrorism, revolution or suicide, cosmetic surgery, experimental treatments, treatments administered by a member of your family, and expenses covered under other insurance policies you may have. This is not a complete list of exclusions. Different policies may have different exclusions.

Department of State Regulations

On the 6th October 2014, the US Department of State issued a final rule that would make a number of changes to the way the J1 Visa program is run, and as part of that the levels of insurance coverage were changed to:

  • Medical benefits of at least$100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of$25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of$50,000
  • Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  • A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
    • an A.M. Best rating of ''A-'' or above;
    • a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard &Poor's Claims paying Ability rating of ''A-'' or above;
    • a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ''B+'' or above;
    • a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ''A-'' or above;
    • a Moody's Investor Services rating of ''A3'' or above;

The main changes are to the levels of coverage, up to $100,000 for medical benefits, up to $25,000 for repatriation of remains, up to $50,000 for medical evacuation, and the inclusion of more rating agencies. The main changes have all been highlighted in red.

Update: These new levels of coverage will come into effect on May 15th 2015, so any participants who are in the USA on a J1 Visa on this date will need to meet these new requirements. For more detailed information about the J1 Visa, please be sure to visit our visa section covering all the main aspects of the visa:

Last Updated: 01/02/2023 15:18