Share This

New Students

International Student and Scholar Services

New Students


Applying for your Visa

You will apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. You should apply well in advance of the date you would like to arrive in the U.S. as the wait times for interview appointments vary. The I-20 indicates a "program start date". As a student coming to the United States for the first time you may be allowed to enter the U.S. 30 days prior to that program start date.

To find a Consulate or Embassy near you, visit

Be Prepared for your Interview

Each applicant for a student visa must submit these forms and documents:

  •    Form I-20 from The City College of New York
  •    Online Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160
  •     A valid passport
  •     One 2x2 photograph
  •    The SEVIS I-901 application fee receipt ($200 for F-1 and $180 for J-1)
  •    Receipt to show visa application fee


*Please note that if an individual has B1/B2 or F2 Visa, they are NOT permitted to begin studies or employment. If an individual is undergoing a change of status to a F1 Student Visa, he or she must wait until the F1 Visa has been approved even if he or she has been admitted into the school or program as a prospective student

Applicants should be prepared to provide:

  1.     Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
  2.     CCNY Admission letter
  3.     Fill out COMPLETED Application 
  4.     Proof of financial support CUNY Financial Form (I-20 Application)
  5.     Scores from standardized tests such as TOEFL, SAT, GRE, etc.

Please note that if traveling with a dependent you will also need to provide proof of relationship ( marriage certificate or birth certificate), dependent I-20, a valid passport, and proof of additional funds to support their stay in the U.S.

Upon Arrival in the United States


Once you get to the airport in the U.S., proceed to the Port of Entry and present your Form I-20 and your passport. Expect your finger prints to be scanned and a digital photograph to be taken as is required by regulation.

If you are approved for entry, the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officer will

  •    Stamp your form I-20 for duration of status (D/S) and the date you entered the U.S.

In some cases, if there is a problem with your documents, you may be issued a 30 day entry period, and issued a form I-515A, with instructions to provide further documentation in order to prove lawful entry. Failure to do so will cause a termination of the students SEVIS record and the student must either depart the U.S. or apply for reinstatement.

What to do before the First Day of classes at CCNY

  1.  Check in with the International Students office. This is required for all international students who have received an I-20 from the City College of New York. You will need to bring in your passport, visa, a print-out of the  I-94  and your I-20.
  2. Orientation. Prior to beginning your classes you will be asked to attend a number of orientations including the New International Student Orientation. Attendance is required for all new and transfer students as well as those who changed their nonimmigrant status to F-1.
  3. Register for classes. New incoming undergraduate students will be asked to attend a freshman orientation where they will be registered for the necessary classes after meeting with an advisor. All other students are able to meet with an advisor on campus and register for their classes either online or at the Registrar's office.
  4. Tuition. After you register for classes you will receive a bill for your tuition and fees. You can pay tuition in person by check, money order or cash. Credit card payments and Electronic Funds Transfers (EFT) can be made online through your CUNYfirst account. The credit cards accepted are American Express, MasterCard and Discover.

Places to Know on Campus

  1. Office of International Student and Scholar Services. Assists students and scholars who are not permanent residents of the U.S. with a variety of academic and counseling support services. Located in NAC 1/107
  2. Health and Wellness. Provides on campus clinical services for students by a full time registered nurse and a part time nurse practitioner. Services are free and confidential for all currently enrolled CCNY students. Located in Marshak Room J15.
  3. Counseling Center. Provides individual and group counseling to address situations anywhere from stress to relationship problems to alcohol or drug use. Located in Marshak Room J15.
  4. Access-Ability  Center. Provides and coordinates reasonable accommodations and support services to students with disabilities. Located in NAC 1/218.
  5. Bursars Office. Serves to collect all tuition and fees in accordance with CUNY policies and procedures. Located in Administration Building room 103.
  6. Cafeteria. Offers bountiful meals at modest cost, snacks and beverages as well as Starbucks cafe's located in two buildings. The main cafeteria is located in NAC 2/104.
  7. Bookstore. Serves as your on campus supply store for textbooks, materials and City College Apparel. Located in NAC 1/103.

Your Legal Immigration Obligations

When you enter the United States with an F-1 visa status, it is very important that you understand that you have important legal obligations while in the United States. International Services is always available to advise you on these requirements. Don't hesitate to seek our advice on any legal immigration regulatory issue. Please read the following very carefully and follow these rules that are strictly enforced by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • You must have a valid I-20 form from The City College of New York.
  • All students in F-1 status must register for a full time course load (12 for undergraduates, 9 for graduates) each Fall and Spring semester. If for any  reason you are unable to enroll in a full course load, you must see an advisorin the International Students office before classes begin.
  • Enroll in classes every Fall and Spring semester.
  • Report any changes of your name or address to the International Students office within 10 days of the change.
  • Do not work without proper legal authorization. Any work must be approved by the International Students office or USCIS


Reporting Requirements

The government requires that all schools report to SEVIS and USCIS whether a student has fulfilled all requirements necessary for a student to maintain their F-1 status.

Prior to beginning classes at CCNY, every student is required by USCIS to report to the Office of International Student & Scholar Services. When you report you are required to provide a copy of your passport, visa, I-94  and I-20. You will also be asked to fill out an F-1 Student Data Sheet. This form will provide the information required for SEVIS reporting.


Transfer Students

For International Students transferring into CCNY , please have your International Student Advisor from your previous institution fill out our transfer form and have it sent over to our office. Doing so allows us to receive your SEVIS record and process your CCNY I-20. The form can be located in the link below

Transfer Form