UPDATED TEMPORARY PROCEDURES FOR PLACEMENT EXAMS
Placement exams in Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Russian, Spanish for Heritage Speakers as well as Spanish for Non-Heritage Speakers will be offered remotely via Zoom Starting during the Fall of 2020 semester for incoming and continuing students at CCNY through the Office of Evaluation and Testing.
You must pre-register for each exam you plan to take separately (ie, you cannot take 2 different language exams on the same day/at the same time).
Once you have signed up, you must take the exam at the date and time you selected; if you miss your appointment, you will have to go through the sign-up process all over again.
Here is what you will need in order to take the exam:
- A current photo ID (you will need to show this ID before you can take the test)
- An active Zoom account. Claim, download, and install your CCNY Zoom account. Go to https://ccny.zoom.us and click on “Sign in” to configure your account
- An active CCNY email (you will need this email to sign into the testing site)
- An EMPLID number (keep this handy if you don’t have it memorized – you’ll be asked for your student ID when you sign into the website to take the test)
- A desktop or laptop computer with a working camera that must remain on for the duration of the test (proctors will be checking to make sure that no other devices or websites are accessed during the test)
- A desktop or laptop computer running the latest versions of your preferred browser (Chrome is best, but Firefox or any other browser should work as long as you have the most updated version) - An area clear of other computers, smartphones or tablets where you can work for the duration of the test (proctors will ask to see your work area before you begin the test to ensure that there are no other devices nearby)
- At least 45-60 minutes of quiet, uninterrupted time to complete the test.
Please note that you cannot take this test on a mobile or smartphone. Unfortunately, other devices such as cell phones, iPads, Surface, and other tablets, will not work.
If these conditions are not met you will not be able to take the test and you will be asked to leave the virtual testing room. Your score and placement will appear on the screen when you have completed the test. If you have any questions about your score please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please note that scores are subject to random verification by faculty in our Department. You may be asked to attend a follow-up interview in the target language to confirm your score.
The next dates to take the placement exam are below. Please note that limited space is available.
PM.To sign up for a placement exam please email Giovanni Gomez (
) with the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Language (s) in which you wish to be tested
- Preferred date and time
You will receive a confirmation email with the date and time of your test along with additional instructions about what to expect. If you do not receive an email at least 24 hours before the test day and time please email the office to let us know.
Do I need to take a placement exam?
For information on who should take a placement exam please click here.
Which exam should I take?
To determine which exam you should take, please, speak with an advisor - see list of advisors below.
What if I want to take the exam in Arabic, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese or another language not listed above?
Please, speak with an advisor - see list of advisors below.
How do I prepare for this exam?
These kinds of computer-adaptive tests are given at hundreds of universities across the United States in order to determine how comfortable you are communicating in a particular language. The tests we use at CCNY are primarily focused on reading and grammar: you may be asked to read short passages and answer questions about overall meaning or to fill in blanks with the appropriate verb tense, mode, vocabulary word, etc. to complete a sentence correctly.
How long does the test take?
This is a multiple-choice computer-adaptive test so test time can vary. Some students finish in less than twenty minutes, but give yourself at least an hour to complete the test.
When will I get my score?
You will receive your score immediately after taking the exam along with information about the course level into which you have been placed or if you have scored high enough to be considered exempt from the requirement altogether. After you receive your score, register for the indicated language class or, if you are exempt, you may wish to register for an upper-level elective in that language (classes at the 300-level or higher are considered electives).
Can I retake the test?
No, you cannot retake the test in the same language. To speak with an advisor please see list of advisors below.
What do I do if I have questions about my score?
For questions about your score, please speak with an advisor - see list of advisors below.
What do I do if I can’t register for the class I need to take on CUNYFirst?
Please, speak with our Department Administrator, email Rosa Martinez ( email@example.com )
ARABIC: Prof. Amr Kamal ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
CHINESE: Prof. I-Hsien Wu ( email@example.com )
FRENCH: Prof. Bettina Lerner ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
LATIN: Prof. Jennifer Roberts ( email@example.com )
JAPANESE: Prof. Richard Calichman ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
PORTUGUESE: Prof. Regina Castro-McGowan ( email@example.com )
Last Updated: 05/20/2022 08:35