The Graduate Programs in Early Childhood Education prepare teachers to meet national standards of excellence in teaching and to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to understand and nurture children’s learning. Graduates learn to support children’s understandings of the world through inquiry and active learning and to create environments that build on children's varied strengths and cultural wealth.
The programs emphasize deep knowledge of human development, learning processes, instructional strategies, and subject matter. All courses utilize technology and focus on how teaching, learning, and assessment connect. Special attention is given to how issues of diversity – of culture, language, family, and learning styles – can best be used to positively impact schools and schooling in urban settings.
DUE TO THE COVID-19 pandemic, all advising and many courses will be online.
For assistance with advising, please contact Interim Program Director - Gay Wilgus ( email@example.com ) or other full time program faculty
The programs lead to New York State certification as a teacher of 0 - 8 year olds.
- Child-Centered Curriculum
- Field-Based Experiences
- Reflective Practice
- Respect for Diversity
- Performance-based Assessments
- Professional Accountability
The Graduate Programs in Early Childhood Education are nationally recognized by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) as part of The School of Education's national accreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Professor Gay Wilgus, Program Director of the Early Childhood Education/Special Education Advanced Certificate Program can be reached by anyone who needs advisement for that program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program Descriptions & Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Course listings are available from the menu above via
Academics > Courses:
Spring - Summer - Fall
- Program Policies & Procedures
- Application & Admissions
Like us on Facebook (we post job openings): www.facebook.com/ece.ccny