1. How do I apply to the program?

Apply Online

Applications for formal admission to the program for the Fall are due on March 15th and applications for formal admission to the program for spring are due on October 15th.

2. What are the requirements?

You must include:

  • Three letters of reference
  • Official transcripts from the community college(s) (if applicable) and the college(s) where you earned your bachelor's degree.
  • An official transcript for any graduate courses you would like approval for transfer into the CCNY graduate program (up to 6 credits can be transferred).
  • A copy of your New York State initial certification if you wish to be admitted to the professional certification program.
  • GPA of 3.0

An interview, which includes an on-site essay with program faculty is required for those who pass the first round of application reviews.

3. How long can I remain a non-matriculated student?

You may register for a total of nine credits while non-matriculated. To continue with courses after that, you must get accepted into the degree program. If not, the registrar puts a stop on your registration.

4. What does the program look for on my transcript?

Your previous transcripts will be checked to ensure that you have the undergraduate courses required by New York State for initial certification in Early Childhood Education:    6 credits of math, 6 credits of science, and 6 credits of social sciences - at a grade of C or better.

5. Can I apply graduate credits from another college toward the requirements for my degree from City College?

If you have already taken courses at another college and wish to transfer the credits to City College, you must submit transcripts from that coursework in your application to the graduate program and request an evaluation of the coursework at the time you apply to the graduate program. We will evaluate the credits when we receive an official copy of your transcript from the other college. Please do not assume that these credits will be accepted. Reading courses taken through other colleges are seldom accepted as the equivalent of the college's two required, carefully-sequenced reading courses. Your advisor will determine whether or not courses can be accepted as electives. 6 transfer credits may be accepted. Have the official transcript sent to Office of Graduate Admissions.

6. Once I am accepted into the program, may I take graduate courses at other institutions?

Once you are matriculated into the graduate program, you must get prior approval for any courses you wish to take at another college to fulfill degree requirements. This applies even to elective courses. See your advisor as there are different rules for accepting coursework from non-CUNY schools and CUNY colleges.

7. Will I have to take student teaching?

Every candidate admitted to the graduate program in Early Childhood. Education who does not have initial (formerly called provisional) certification at the time of admission is required to take student teaching or supervised teaching/student teaching. The semester long experience includes work in two of the following three age levels: a pre-K classroom, a K classroom, a grade 1 or 2 classroom. Each student teaching/supervised teaching course includes a weekly seminar with a colleague supervisor and a 0 credit 6-8 session Friday workshop that provides the state-mandated child abuse, violence prevention, and DASA (Dignity for All Students) courses that all teachers must have.

8. Admissions interview

All applicants for matriculation into the Graduate Programs in Early Childhood Education who have been approved after an initial review of the application, will be required to attend an interview with a program admissions committee before final acceptance decisions are made. The interview consists of a discussion with program faculty and other applicants and an on-site essay.

9. Immunizations

Entering students must demonstrate proof of immunization with the Office of Wellness in the Science Building, Room 15, before registering for courses. (See Bulletin for more information.)

10. New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation Information

11. Scholarships for Early Childhood Professionals:

PDP - EIP, Educational Incentive Program (

12. Other City College Information

Office of Graduate Admissions
Tuition and Fees
Financial Aid Information

Last Updated: 10/23/2023 14:30