Students without prior musical training:
No permissions needed to register for our fundamentals classes; these are open to all CCNY students. We recommend beginning students register for these courses:
- MUS 13100, Music Theory Fundamentals
Required for the music minor, and also grants access to courses in the Popular Music Studies major.
- MUS 16100, Aural Fundamentals
While 13100 focuses on written fundamentals, this companion course focuses on hearing music notation.
- MUS 15400, Keyboard Fundamentals
Introduction to the piano keyboard and music fundamentals.
Students with prior fundamentals training:
- If you passed Music Theory Fundamentals (MUS 13100) at CCNY or had an equivalent course transferred in from another college, you're eligible to start the required Popular Music Studies courses. Please contact Professor Pieslak,
, for course permissions and advising. Please include your EMPLID in all correspondence.
- If you have musical training outside the university system, and you're comfortable with music theory fundamentals (scales, keys, intervals, triads, and basic notation), please contact Professor Pieslak, email@example.com , with a brief summary of your prior experience. Please include your EMPLID in all correspondence.
Last Updated: 03/15/2023 08:41