The mission statement of The City College School of Education of The City University of the City of New York is to prepare knowledgeable, reflective, caring educators who are committed to teaching and leading in diverse communities. There are five related strands within the school's mission statement. They are:
1. Educating for and about diversity
2. Developing in-depth knowledge about the world
3. Becoming skillful, reflective practitioners
4. Promoting leadership for learning
5. Building caring communities
These strands are infused throughout the Secondary Social Studies Program. We aim to prepare teachers to work with a diverse student body by drawing on effective teaching and leadership skills as well as a significant body of content-knowledge related to the social studies.