The Office of Academic Standards is the home for the Committee on Course and Standing for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS).
All appeals to the CLAS Committee on Course and Standing from current and former students must start with a formal letter and the attached cover sheet for your contact information. Please make sure that your mailing address, most used email address, and phone number are up to date. Tips for writing an effective appeal letter can be found here.
ACADEMIC STANDARDS COORDINATES REVIEWS OF:
- Applications for reinstatement (re-entry) after academic dismissal from CLAS or the Professional Schools and/or absence from CLAS for periods greater than one semester.
- Applications for Academic Forgiveness for illness, family crises, etc.
- Appeals for late course withdrawal or to make up Incomplete grades after the institutional deadline has passed.
- Grades contested by students.
- Requests for course substitutions to meet CLAS academic requirements.
- Faculty requests to change assigned permanent grades for undergraduate CLAS coursework.
- Appeals for evaluation of Pathways Transfer Credits.
ACADEMIC STANDARDS DOES NOT HANDLE:
- Appeals from graduate students (go to your CLAS Divisional or Professional School Dean).
- Appeals concerning courses offered by the Grove School of Engineering, Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, the School of Education, or the Spitzer School or Architecture. Students who wish to file appeals in these courses can contact the appropriate people by clicking on the links.
- Appeals for Financial Aid; or Veterans Administration benefits. Appeals for these services must follow complex federal and state guidelines. Contact these offices by clicking on the links.
- Appeals for tuition refunds. Please contact the Office of the Registrar concerning any refund request.
- Alleged violations of the CUNY Policy on Academic Integrity. Please refer these issues to the Academic Integrity Committee.
HELPFUL LINKS FOR STUDENTS AND ADVISORS:
- A GPA calculator for Excel on Mac or PC.
- Recent Academic Updates passed by Faculty Council or Faculty Senate.
- List of student advisors.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Course Bulletins.
- List of courses that satisfy the General Education Math Requirement for BA and BFA students.
- Uniform Grading Policy.
- CUNY "F Repeat" Policy" and "F Repeat" form.
- Information about the "Z" grade.
- Rules on repeating a course.
Vivien C. Tartter
Chair of Academic Standards
North Academic Center
NAC 7 / 209
New York, NY 10031