The Office of Academic Standards is the home for the Committee on Course and Standing for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) and the Committee on Academic Integrity for the entire City College of New York.
All appeals to the CLAS Committee on Course and Standing from current and former students must start with a formal letter and the attached cover sheet for your contact information. Please make sure that your mailing address, most used email address, and phone number are up to date. Tips for writing an effective appeal letter can be found here.
Faculty reporting a student violation of CUNY's Policy on Academic Integrity must use the Faculty Reporting Form. Students reported for violating the Integrity Policy may appeal to the college-wide Academic Integrity Officer via the Office of Academic Standards.
THIS OFFICE COORDINATES REVIEWS OF:
- Applications for reinstatement (re-entry) after academic dismissal from CLAS or the Professional Schools and/or absence from CLAS for periods greater than one semester.
- Applications for Academic Forgiveness for illness, family crises, etc.
- Appeals for late course withdrawal or to make up Incomplete grades after the institutional deadline has passed.
- Grades contested by students.
- Requests for course substitutions to meet CLAS academic requirements.
- Faculty requests to change assigned permanent grades for undergraduate CLAS coursework.
- Appeals for evaluation of Pathways Transfer Credits.
THIS OFFICE DOES NOT HANDLE:
- Appeals from graduate students (go to your CLAS Divisional or Professional School Dean).
- Appeals from students currently enrolled in the Grove School of Engineering, Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, the School of Education, or the Spitzer School or Architecture. Students enrolled in these schools can contact the appropriate people by clicking on the links.
- Appeals for Financial Aid or Veterans Administration benefits. Appeals for these services must follow complex federal and state guidelines. Contact these offices by clicking on the links.
- Appeals for tuition refunds. Please contact the Office of the Registrar concerning any refund request.
HELPFUL LINKS FOR STUDENTS AND ADVISORS:
- A GPA calculator for Excel on Mac or PC.
- Recent Academic Updates passed by Faculty Council or Faculty Senate.
- List of student advisors.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Course Bulletins.
- List of courses that satisfy the General Education Math Requirement for BA and BFA students.
- Uniform Grading Policy.
- CUNY "F Repeat" Policy" and "F Repeat" form.
- Information about the "Z" grade.
- Rules on repeating a course.
Vivien C. Tartter
Willie Administration Building
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031