Frequently Asked Questions

1.  What is the College policy about attendance/absences?

Each instructor has the right to establish his/her own attendance policy, which will be announced in class or given in the syllabus. It is your responsibility to become familiar with and follow this policy, and you should find it out on the first day your class meets.

In general, you are expected to attend your classes and to be on time. An instructor has the right to drop you from a course for excessive absence, and to treat lateness as equivalent to absence. No distinction is made between excused and unexcused absences. Each instructor retains the right to establish his or her own policy.

2.  Can I repeat a course for a better grade?

You cannot register for the same course more than three times. Before repeating it, we strongly suggest you reevaluate your study habits and the work necessary to receive the desired grade.  If you need to take it for a third time, you should consider a new focus for your studies. You cannot appeal to take a course more than three times.

3.  What can I do about an "F"?

The CUNY "F" Policy allows for an "F" grade, or any administrative failing grade, such as "WU" or "WF," to be excluded from the calculation of your cumulative GPA if you retake the failed course and receive a grade of "C" or better, and then fill out the   Students must then fill out the "F" Policy application form [link] and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Please note: the "F" grade is not removed from your transcript but it will no longer be reflected in the cumulative GPA. This policy is limited to 16 credits CUNY-Wide, and the course must have been taken after 1990.

4.  What must I do about an Incomplete (INC)?

A temporary grade of "INC" may be awarded if you find yourself unable to complete all coursework at the end of the semester due to extenuating circumstances, which allows you an additional ten weeks into the next semester to complete any remaining coursework. To qualify, you must have at least a "C" average in the course. You can pick up an Incomplete Agreement Form from the Information Desk (NAC 1/205) or the Office of the Registrar (A 102).  Instructors are not required to assign "INC" grades if they believe it is not earned, and they cannot offer a further extension after the ten-week deadline.

5.  How do I withdraw from a course?  And how do I do it without hurting my record?

The withdrawal deadline for the Fall 2021 semester is December 11th, 2021.

  • You can withdraw from a course during the first three weeks of the semester for a partial refund of your tuition.

  • Between the third week of the semester and the withdrawal deadline, you may withdraw from a course and receive a "W" on your transcript, which will not impact your GPA. To do this, login to your CUNYfirst account and click on the link for Student Center; use the dropdown list under the Academics category to drop the course. Students with a NWD stop on their record must see an advisor prior to withdrawing. 

  • After the withdrawal deadline, if you withdraw from a course you will receive either an "F" or an administrative failing grade that will affect your GPA. If you have a real emergency and have to leave a course after the deadline, you must petition the appropriate Committee on Course and Standing to receive a "W" rather than an "F."

  • If you have to leave school for a semester or more, you must officially withdraw from all classes. If it is after the withdrawal deadline, and the student has a valid emergency with appropriate documentation, he/she may submit a written appeal to the appropriate CCS to receive a "W" for each class.

6.  Is there a Pass/NC option?

You may take one course a semester, but no more than six courses total, on a Pass/NC basis. The course cannot count toward the major or core requirements. Therefore, only electives should be considered.

7.  Can I audit a course?

Yes, for a fee.  You won't receive a grade or credits for the audited course, and the instructor is not required to review any work from the student.

8. Can I take courses at another college (Permit courses)?

You may have the option of taking Permit courses at another college and transferring the credits towards a degree requirement at CCNY.  You must meet with an advisor to review and approve the Permit course option to avoid wasting time, money, and energy on courses that are not applicable to the degree. Several restrictions apply:

  • Undergraduates must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

  •  The Permit course can only be taken at a 4-year college.

  • The course must be approved by the chair of the corresponding department at CCNY.   For example: if you wish to take a psychology course at Brooklyn College, you must obtain permission from the Chair of Psychology at CCNY (or the Chair's designated deputy.

Permit registration procedure is different depending on whether or not the course is through a CUNY school (transfer students may not be eligible to participate as they must meet residency and major degree requirements with courses at CCNY):

  • If the Permit course is through a CUNY school, you can fill out an e-Permit through the CUNY Portal. Classes taken at CUNY schools will be noted on the your transcript and the final grade will be calculated into your GPA.

  •  If the Permit course is not through a CUNY school, the student must fill out a paper Permit form. For these courses, the equivalent CCNY course will be listed on the your transcript, along with the credits, but the grade will not be calculated into the student's GPA.

9.  Does CCNY offer Independent Studies?

Most departments offer the opportunity to do individual library or laboratory research, under the direction of a faculty member WHEN STUDENTS CAN NOT FIND A COURSE THAT MEETS THEIR INTEREST IN A FIELD. You must talk to your departmental advisor to find out specific requirements, but these conditions apply to all students:

  1. You must have completed nine credits with a minimum GPA of 2.5 within the discipline.

  2. No more than four credits of Independent Study can be taken per semester.

  3. No more than nine credits of Independent Study can be used toward the degree. Additionally, no more than fifteen credits in both Independent Study and Fieldwork can be used toward the degree.

  4. Independent Study credits cannot fulfill general education or core distribution requirements.

10.  Does CCNY offer credit for fieldwork and internships?

Fieldwork and internship opportunities are available through most departments. Check with your advisor and with department heads to explore offerings and for specific requirements.

11. Can the evaluation of transfer credits be appealed?

Any transfer student with concerns about how completed courses have been evaluated for transfer credit must meet with a campus advisor to review their Transfer Evaluation Report. Students who, after that meeting, believe they have not been awarded transfer credit to which they are entitled may submit an appeal first to the Office of Academic Standards using this form. Appeals which are not promptly resolved at the college level may be submitted to the University's Office of Academic Affairs. More information about the university appeals process is available at


Last Updated: 07/08/2021 18:31