What is the CARE team?
The CARE (Communication, Action, Response, Evaluation) team is a multi-disciplinary group whose purpose is to meet regularly to promote student, faculty and staff success and campus safety by identifying individuals who demonstrate behaviors that may be early warning signs of possible disruptive or violent behavior, to intervene in a formalized and coordinated fashion at the earliest possible time, and to engage in coordinated follow-up re-assessment.
The focus of CCNY's CARE Team is care and concern for students who may be in distress. Team members coordinate resources and implement services and intervention strategies. The goal of the CARE Team is to provide assistance to the individual while mitigating risk in an effort to keep the CCNY community healthy and safe. After initial reports and evaluation are made, The CARE Team follows up on all cases. The CARE Team is also designed to provide members of CCNY's community who have concerns regarding students' behavior with an easily-accessible avenue to report these concerns.
WHEN SHOULD YOU MAKE A REPORT:
Is someone you know…
- Demonstrating disruptive or disturbing behavior?
- Making disturbing comments in conversation, email, letters, social media postings or papers?
- Intimidating or harassing others including making disturbing or threatening phone calls, text messages, emails, Facebook postings, etc.
- Demonstrating disruptive behavior on campus (including in classrooms)
- Engaging in emotional outbursts (e.g., yelling or screaming)
- Suggesting (in verbal or written form) an intention to harm self, including self-mutilation and expression of suicidal thoughts or actions
- Suggesting (in verbal or written form) an intention to harm others
- Sad, anxious or experiencing dramatic mood shifts?
- Abusing alcohol or drugs?
- Isolating themselves socially?
- Frequently angry or easily frustrated?
- Engaging in, or is the victim of any kind of assault including sexual misconduct
These behaviors, especially when more than one are present, may be signs that a student is in distress.
Any member of the CCNY community may refer a student of concern to the CARE Team.
There are many resources at CCNY to help.
Your confidential report to CCNY's CARE Team can make a difference.
* The CARE Team is not meant to take the place of standard classroom management techniques utilized by faculty. Implementation of this team does not alter any existing discipline policies. Rather, the CARE Team centralizes the reporting of concerning student behavior, encourages early intervention, and ensures follow-up on relevant cases
WHAT DOES THE CARE TEAM NEED TO KNOW?Providing as much information as possible is essential!
- Student [faculty or staff member's] name and ID number (if known) – brief factual description of the incident or behavior
- Direct quotes whenever possible
- Where and when the incident or behavior occurred
- Names and contact information of witnesses
- Your name, position and complete contact information
- Include all emails or other information you have
- Always save voice recordings, text messages and emails on the device that received them
CARE TEAM MEMBERS
The CARE Team includes representatives from the following CCNY departments:
- Student Affairs
- Diversity and Compliance
- Public Safety
- Residence Life
- Community Standards
- REACH Services (Resources, Education, AccessAbility, Counseling and Health)
- Faculty Representative
Last Updated: 01/19/2022 18:32