International Applicants

Evaluation of International Credentials

The City College of New York completes a full assessment of a student's academic records if they are applying with academic coursework and/or a degree obtained outside of the United States. We accept transcript or degree evaluations completed by the following credential services:

Education Credential Evaluators, Inc.:
Evaluation Service Inc.:
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.:
Transcript Research:

While students may submit copies of their credential evaluations, the ultimate decision of a degree's equivalency lies at the discretion of the City College of New York.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) / IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English, are required to submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores. This requirement applies to all applicants from Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East, Israel, the Peoples Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, most European countries and non-English speaking countries in Africa.

The TOEFL or IELTS are not required of permanent residents of the U.S. or individuals who have been granted official refugee or asylum status by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The TOEFL or IELTS are not required of students from countries where English is the official language, or by students that have studied full-time at an accredited university in the US for at least two years. The following courses will not fulfill this requirement: (1) courses in English as a Second Language, (2) courses conducted in another language other than English, (3) courses that will be completed after you apply, and (4) courses of a nonacademic nature. Applicants who attend a university in a foreign country where English is the medium of instruction are NOT waived from this requirement.

Each graduate program may require a different minimum score for consideration than another. Please consult the program requirements for you program's minimum score.If you have previously been denied admission to City College on the basis of your English language proficiency, you must submit new scores that meet the current minimum.

All scores expire after two years. The Institutional Code for City College is 2083. This Institutional Code number will ensure that your scores are sent to The City College Office of Admissions. Scores sent directly to any academic department will delay the processing of your application. City College does not use department codes.

TOEFL score reports must come directly from ETS (Educational Testing Service) to be official. 

TOEFL/TSE Services
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151
Telephone: 1-609-771-7100
Fax: 1-609-771-7500

IELTS score reports must come directly from Cambridge University Press or the testing center to be official.

Cambridge University Press
100 Brook Hill Drive
West Nyack, NY 10994-2133
Phone: (800) 872-7423
Fax: (845) 348-4545

City College's English Language Institute

City College now offers an intensive English program that is available to all students, domestic and international. Foreign students who do not meet the minimum TOEFL requirement for CCNY can enroll in this program to improve their English skills and receive a F-1 visa. To learn more, click here.

Visas for International Students

Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents must have a student visa status that allows study at The City College of New York. The F-1 Student Visa is obtained with an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility which is issued by The City College of New York. Certificates of eligibility are issued to international students who have accepted our offer of admission, meet the English language proficiency requirement, and verified sufficient financial resources for at least one academic year. Students who are on visas must maintain continuous, full-time enrollment and are subject to U.S. immigration laws covering such items as employment on and off campus, change of degree, transfer of school, and extension of stay. Additional information on visas is sent to admitted students. International students should allow at least six months for completion of the application process.

International Academic Credentials

Assessment of a foreign degree is based on the characteristics of a national educational system, the type of institution attended, and the level of studies completed. The following guidelines indicate the minimum level of study required of applicants who wish to apply for graduate study at The City College of New York:

  1. British patterned education: bachelor’s degree with honors
  2. France: maîtrise from university or completion of three-year diplôme d’ingénieur from grandes écoles Note: The gradue’ (graduate certificate) or license does not meet minimum requirements.
  3. Germany: the diplom, magister atrium (M.A.), or staatsexamen. Note: The German educational system is currently going through revision. Consideration will be given to students who apply prior to the imposition of the new system.
  4. Other European countries: university degree requiring four years of study
  5. Middle East: university degree requiring four years of study
  6. Canada: three-year bachelor’s degree from Quebec, four- year bachelor’s degree from other provinces
  7. Latin America: university degree requiring four years of study
  8. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal: bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine, master’s degree in all other fields Note: A three-year bachelor’s degree is not considered sufficient for graduate study at City College. The two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.
  9. Philippines: five-year bachelor’s degree or four-year bachelor’s degree plus one year of graduate work
  10. Russian republics: university diploma requiring four-and-a-half to six years of study
  11. Other Asian countries: university degree requiring four years of study

Academic records from every postsecondary institution attended as a student should be submitted with your application. Academic records should give detailed information on the content and the quality of your performance, courses taken each year and grades received. The grading scale of the institution and your rank in class should be noted whenever possible. Official copies of diplomas or conferral statements on academic records must verify degrees.

All academic records must be delivered in a sealed official envelope of the issuing institution. Original documents must bear the seal and signature of the Registrar or copies verified by a school administrative officer.

If the institution does not issue records in English, original language records must be submitted with translations. All translations must be literal and complete versions of the original records (refer to the graduate application for the guidelines for official translation of documents). All supporting material must be in English.

The University reserves the right to request additional academic documents if we are unable to verify the nature or authenticity of your academic documents.

Home Country Assistance

Education USA logo For further assistance with the application process and information specific to your country, please contact your local U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate/Office of Public Affairs for referral to an overseas educational advising center near you, or consult the list available on the U.S. Department of State’s website at