Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I apply to a graduate program?

    You must complete an online application and provide the requested supporting documents. All students must provide an official transcript from each college or university attended immediately after being accepted. Letters of recommendation, a personal statement and a resume are also required. The GRE's are also required of certain programs. Please consult the Requirements page by clicking the "Step 2" link on the right side of this page. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam may be required for international students as well. Different programs may have additional requirements.

  2. Do I have to provide official transcripts?

    Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to the online application to be used for evaluation purposes only. Applicants must upload an unofficial transcript, mark sheet, or academic record for each institution of higher education previously attended, even those that did not confer a degree. All transcript uploads must include a key, legend, or back copy of the transcript. Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an English translation. Scans must be clear and legible, and all transcripts/records should include the student's name.

    Official transcripts must arrive in the envelope, sealed and stamped by the Registrar’s office. If the official transcript does not include the conferral date of baccalaureate degree, please request an official copy of the diploma or provisional certificate as well. Transcripts (and diplomas) not in English must be accompanied by a translation.

    Any admission offers will be contingent on receiving and verifying all official transcripts, certified translations, and/or credential evaluations pertaining to the applicant's entire post-secondary academic career, prior to the registration deadline. Any fraudulent activity or discrepancies found between unofficial and official transcripts will result in the immediate revocation of the admission offer.

  3. I studied abroad and it will take a long time for my transcripts to arrive from my previous school. If I have my original transcript, does that qualify as official?

    If your transcript is in the original envelope, which has been sealed and stamped (or signed) by the Registrar’s Office, then it is official. If you have opened the envelope, it is no longer official.

  4. If my transcript is in another language, will the College translate it or do I have to have it translated?

    Students are responsible for having their academic records translated to English by an official translation agency, their consulate office or the university attended. Notary publics cannot provide official translations. A list of official translation services in the New York City area is available in the Office of Admissions.

  5. Can I submit an evaluation of my academic credentials?

    Yes, however the College only accepts evaluations from the following credential agencies:

    Education Credential Evaluators, Inc.:
    Evaluation Service Inc.:
    Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.:
    Transcript Research:

  6. If my application is not received by the deadline, will it be considered?

    Applications submitted or completed after the deadline are not guaranteed a review. Students should arrange for their application to be submitted well in advance of the deadline to ensure a smooth notification and review process.

  7. When is the deadline?
    Programs & Deadlines

    International students are encouraged to begin the application process six months to one year prior to the deadline to allow for the arrival of their documents and processing of their application.

  8. What is the minimum TOEFL Score? Am I exempt?

    The scores for City College is: paper-based test score of 500 or internet-based score of 61 is required for admission. Several graduate programs require a higher scores. See the Office of Graduate Admissions for the appropriate score required. The TOEFL is not required of natives from countries where English is the official language, or of students who have a baccalaureate or master’s degree (or a minimum of two full years of non-technical study) from an institution in a country where English is the official language. You are also exempt if you are a permanent resident or citizen of the U.S. TOEFL score reports must be sent directly from ETS (Educational Testing Service) to be official. TOEFL Score Reports are valid for only two years from the test date. Student copies of TOEFL Scores are unofficial and will not be accepted. The City College Institutional Code is 2083. Please do not include a Departmental Code as this will delay the arrival of TOEFL Score Reports to the Office of Graduate Admissions. If you have received a degree from a foreign institution where English is the medium of instruction, you are still required to take the TOEFL and achieve the required minimum score.

  9. I’ve done graduate work at another school. Will those credits be applied towards my degree at City?

    Students who have completed graduate work at other institutions may receive up to twelve transfer credits (up to six in the school of Engineering) towards the master’s degree if the course has been taken within a five-year period preceding matriculation at The City College. Twelve credits may be granted for courses taken in one or more of the senior colleges of The City University of New York. The precise number of credits will be determined in each case by the appropriate graduate committee and by the divisional Dean’s office after the student has satisfactorily completed at least twelve credits of Graduate work at the College.

  10. Can I enroll as a non-matriculated student? If I begin as a non-matriculated student, is matriculation automatic?

    A student may apply as non-matriculated during Fall, Spring or Summer registration, as space permits. Some programs, however do not accept non-degree applications. Please refer to the program of interest page for more information on your program of interest. More information on non-matriculation is also available in the Graduate Bulletin. Students who wish to take courses as a non-degree student must submit a "Non-Degree Application" along with proof of a bachelor's degree and the non refundable $75 application fee. Please click the "Non-Degree/Non-Matriculating" link on the menu above for more information. Student visas are not issued for students applying as a non-degree. Non-matriculated students may still be required to submit proof of English proficiency.

  11. I’ve been out of school for years and can’t contact my former instructors. Who else can provide recommendations?

    If you are currently employed in a profession related to the area for which you seek admission, you may provide one recommendation from your supervisor. If you enroll in a class as a non-matriculated student, you can seek a recommendation from that instructor.

  12. I’m an international student. How do I get an I-20?

    Upon acceptance to the college, the “Application for the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20)” will be included with the acceptance letter. The form must be completed and returned, along with the required financial certification documents requested. If the form is correctly completed and the proper supporting documents provided are deemed satisfactory, an I-20 will be issued to take to your consulate for a student visa. International students are not encouraged to register as non-matriculated student since it may affect their immigration status. Student visas are not issued for students applying as a Non-Degree student.

  13. Conditional Admissions

    Students that have been accepted as matriculated with conditions are those that have applied and submitted all official documents to the graduate admissions office and have received a formal letter from the divisional dean accepting them as matriculated with conditions. Matriculate conditional students must fulfill requirements as specified by the academic department. Students may achieve matriculation by meeting college and university requirements.

    Due to USCIS rules, international students with conditional admission must complete their pre-requisite courses successfully before starting at CCNY, as SEVP regulation prohibits the issuance of a I-20 based on conditional admission.   

  14. How do I qualify for in-state tuition?

    Students are assigned residency status when admitted to the College. Since residency determines tuition rates, students should know their classifications. You must be able to prove that you have resided in New York State for the past twelve months and, if necessary, verify your status as a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, as only citizens, permanent residents and certain Visa holders are eligible for in-state tuition. If there is a question about a student’s status, s/he is responsible for proving residency. An Application for Proof of Bona Fide Residency is available in the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Admissions. New students must apply through the Office of Admissions; continuing students must apply through the Office of the Registrar.

  15. Who decides on my admission status?

    The Academic Program, Divisional Dean and the Office of Graduate Admissions admit graduate students. A student’s informal admission is not official until these three parties approve it and an official acceptance letter is issued from the Office of Graduate Admissions.

  16. What is the cost of tuition?

    *Tuition and fees are subject to change

  17. Can I pay tuition in installments?

    Sallie Mae Tuition Pay provides a service to assist students in paying tuition by installments. Additional information is available for the Bursar's Office at (212) 650-8700.

  18. When should I expect to hear from your office?

    The Office of Admissions will send you a letter acknowledging that your application has been received and informing you of any material(s) that may be missing. Once your application is complete, the appropriate Admissions Committee will review it, the Divisional Dean’s Office will finalize the admission decision and the Office of Graduate Admissions will then notify applicants of their decision. Each program varies in response time. As soon as the Admissions office receives decisions, notice is sent out immediately after.

  19. Where do I send my supporting documents after I submit the online application?

    Applicants to, the College of Liberal Arts and Science, Grove School of Engineering, Sustainability in the Urban Environment, and Center for Worker Education:
    The City College of New York
    Office of Graduate Admissions
    Wille Administration Building, Room A-101
    160 Convent Avenue
    New York, NY 10031

    Applicants to, School of Education:
    The City College of New York
    School of Education - Office of Graduate Admissions
    160 Convent Avenue- NAC 3/223A
    New York, NY 10031

    Applicants to, Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture:
    The City College of New York
    Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture
    Office of Graduate Admissions, Room 120
    141 Convent Avenue
    New York, NY 10031

  20. What is the best way to contact you?

    Regular office hours:

    9:00AM – 5:00PM (EST)
    Mondays and Thursdays
    9:00AM – 6:00PM (EST)
    Tuesdays and Wednesdays
    9:00AM – 4:00PM (EST)

    Summer office hours:

    9:00AM - 5:00PM (EST)
    Mondays - Thursday
    9:00AM - 6:00PM (EST)
    Tuesday - Wednesday
    Closed on Fridays

    We are located at:

    The City College of New York
    Office of Graduate Admissions
    Wille Administrative Building
    Room A-101

    160 Convent Avenue
    New York, NY 10031
    (212) 650-6977