Non-Matriculated Application Deadlines 

Non-Degree Applications     

Fall- August 1st
Spring- January 1st


Non Matriculated FAQ's

  1. Who is a non-matriculated/non-degree student?
    Students may be admitted to a graduate program as, fully matriculated, matriculated with conditions or non-matriculant.
  2. Fully Matriculated
    Fully matriculated students are those that have applied and submitted all official documents to the graduate admissions office and have received a formal letter from the divisional dean accepting them as matriculated and thus eligible to receive a degree.
  3. Matriculated with Conditions
    Students that have been accepted as matriculated with conditions are those that have applied and submitted all official documents to the graduate admissions office and have received a formal letter from the divisional dean accepting them as matriculated with conditions. Matriculate conditional students must fulfill requirements as specified by the academic department. Students may achieve matriculation by meeting college and university requirements.

    Due to USCIS rules, international students with conditional admission must complete their pre-requisite courses successfully before starting at CCNY, as SEVP regulation prohibits the issuance of a I-20 based on conditional admission.  
  4. To seek matriculation, the student must contact the departmental advisor or chair of the program. No more than twelve credits taken while in a non-matriculated status may be applied toward a graduate degree. In the School of Education, non-matriculated students are limited to a maximum of nine credits. Graduate advisors will inform the dean and the Office of Graduate Admissions in writing of any approved change in status.

    Please note that international applicants will not be able to receive an I-20 from City College until the conditions have been met elsewhere. 
  5. Non-Matriculant/Non-Degree
    A student who is registered as a non-degree is not eligible to receive a master’s degree while in that status. Nor would a non-degree be granted a permit to register for courses off campus. Non-matriculated students must change status by formal application through the appropriate Office of Admissions. Applicants for a change in status from non-degree to matriculated students will be considered as new applicants for admission and therefore, may be accepted or denied admission. A non-degree student who wishes to become matriculated and thus eligible to receive a degree must have a B average or better in courses, which do not include more than two courses of Independent Study or Tutorial. 

    This type of non-degree status is for students who have not submitted official documents or are unable to complete their application by the deadline. The Non-degree option is also available for students who wish to take graduate courses for personal and professional enrichment and who do not seek matriculation. A student may apply for non-degree study during the fall, spring and summer registration periods as space permits. Students who obtain approval in this status are limited in the number of credits they may take, according to their academic division or school. 

    Non-degree students who have taken the maximum amount of credits allowed are encouraged to apply for matriculation if they wish to continue graduate study at City College. Students must file the appropriate graduate application and submit official documents to the Office of Graduate Admissions in order to have their application reviewed.
    (Students who require F-1 Visa are not eligible for this status).
  6. How many credits am I allowed to take as a non-degree student?
    • School of Education – Nine credits
    • School of Engineering – Six credits
    • Liberal Arts and Science – Twelve credits
    • Sustainability in the Urban Environment- Nine credits
  7. Are there any programs that do not permit non-matriculated students?
    Yes, the following programs do not accept non-degree students:
    • The School of Architecture
    • Branding + Integrated Communication
    • Computer Science-Information Systems
    • Creative Writing
    • Digital and Interdisciplinary Art Practice
    • MFA Film Program
    • Mental Health Counseling
    • Public Administration (MPA), Public Service Management
  8. Can I register for both an Education and an Economics course?
    Yes, non-matriculant students are allowed to register for courses concurrently from different divisions as long as there are no departmental restrictions; however, credits cannot exceed the maximum number of credits allowed by each division.
  9. Is it possible to register for graduate and undergraduate non-matriculated courses?
    Students are allowed to register for both undergraduate and graduate non-matriculated courses for the same semester. Applicants only need to file a graduate non-matriculant application and register for courses in both areas under the graduate status.
  10. What forms do I fill out if I registered for non-matriculant courses previously?
    Students who previously attended City College will need to complete a new graduate non-degree application and pay a new fee. Students who decide to change their status and apply for matriculation will only need to fill out the appropriate graduate application for admission. They are not required to pay a fee if they were registered during the semester prior to applying for matriculation.
    Click here if you are ready to apply

Last Updated: 03/01/2023 15:05