Equipment & Software

How do I reserve equipment?

If you are a student of the School of Education, with a valid CCNY student ID, you can borrow iPads, iPods, digital cameras and camcorders as well as tripods for up to two week to document your teaching and learning on and off campus. Priority will be given to students in research courses that require taped interviews and students who need devices to record their student teaching. You can reserve the equipment online.

How far in advance do I have to reserve equipment?

You have to reserve equipment at least one week in advance before you would like to use it but you should reserve equipment as soon as you know when you need it for the current semester.

For how long can I reserve equipment?

Two weeks.

How can I reserve equipment for more than two weeks?

Usually you cannot reserve equipment for more than two weeks but if there are circumstances where you have to (e.g. the session where you supposed to videorecord your teaching has been rescheduled), you have to summit another request via the Online Form. Put in the notes the special circumstances why you have to extend your reservation.

Which equipment should I reserve?

There is no easy answer to this question. It depends on your circumstances and your familiarity with equipment. As a rule of thumb, you should work with equipment you are familiar with. If you are not familiar with any equipment or you need to use equipment you never used before, make sure that you get to know the device before you use it to record yourself. The Multimedia Center staff can show you how to use our equipment and can answer your questions. We always recommend that you try your equipment in the setting you will record to see if you have any issues with the placement, picture or sound. Should you encounter difficulties with the quality of your recording, please talk to the Multimedia Center staff or Doris Grasserbauer. You can review the available equipment.

How can I use Camtacia for Captions?

Camtasia Studio Closed Captioning and Export SRT

Methods for Creating Caption Tracks in Camtacia Studio 8

How can I zoom in & out on iPads?

Follow the instructions below to use the zoom on our iPads (iPad 2 and iPad4):
1. Goto settings, then click on Accessibilty and turn on the Zoom option.
2. Back in the camera app, put three fingers on the screen, double tap the screen, hold and swipe up for zooming in. Swipe down for zooming out. 

Does the School of Education have a site license for Notebook (SmartBoard)?

We currently do not have a license for Notebook.


The questions below have been asked during edTPA workshops. At this point the questions are not in any particular order.

Which support can I expect from the Multimedia Center?

We offer technical advice and assistance with video recording. We teach you how to cut footage. We have devices (camcorders, cameras, iPods, iPads) you can borrow to record in the classroom for the video component of edTPA. We will NOT help you to select a segment from your footage.

Who keeps the video release forms?

The video parent permission forms are usually kept by the schools.  Usually the principal keeps them or someone in his/her administration.

If you have to hand out your own permission forms since the school does not provide them, hold on to them when they are returned.

What is the size limit for one single video clips?

500MB, i.e. if you are allowed to submit two individual video clips you can submit two files 500MB each. Information on video compression is available on edTPA:

PC: http://www.edtpa.com/Content/Docs/VideoCompressionGuidePC.pdf
MAC: http://www.edtpa.com/Content/Docs/VideoCompressionGuideMac.pdf

What does the 500MB in relation to files mean?

The 500MB limit is the maximum file size for any single file submitted to the Pearson system. 

Are High Definition videos allowed?

They are allowed by not recommended because of the big file size this format creates.

Can transcriptions be used to translate the answer of a student in Spanish into English?

You can provide transcriptions of students' responses from languages other than English.