Share This

Graduate Financial Aid

Office of Financial Aid

Graduate Financial Aid




Federal Work-Study

This is a need-based program providing part-time jobs on and off campus. You are paid for the hours worked up to a maximum set by the college.

File a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at

Submit all required documents to the Financial Aid Office.

The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH Grant) Program.

(A total of $8,000 is allowed for Graduate Study)

This is a federal program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to graduate students. Recipients must agree to fulfill a service obligation as a full-time teacher in a high-need field, at a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income families.

File a FAFSA at

Complete and submit a TEACH Grant Application and Entrance Counseling to the School of Education, NAC 3/223A.

Federal William D. Ford Direct Loan—Unsubsidized

(Up to $20,500 per year)

These are low interest loans.  First-time City College Direct loan borrowers must complete a loan counseling session. Repayment begins six (6) months after a student is no longer enrolled for at least half-time (6 credits).

File a FAFSA at

Submit required documents to the Financial Aid Office. Complete a Direct Loan application. (Entrance counseling may be required.)

For details, go to "How to Apply" tab below.

Federal William D. Ford Direct Grad PLUS loan

A graduate student may apply for this loan after the maximum Unsubsidized loans have been received. There must be remaining unmet educational expenses (based on the CUNY “Cost of Attendance”) to qualify.

File a FAFSA at

Submit required documents to the Financial Aid Office. Must complete a Direct Grad PLUS Loan application.

Veteran’s Benefits

Qualifications are determined by the U.S.
Department of Veteran’s Affairs

Go to Wingate Hall, room 107 or call
212-650-5374. Go to and click on “Veteran’s Affairs.”

Aid to Native American Indians

This is a grant for students who are at least ¼ American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut, and/or certified as a member in a tribe served by the BIA.

To apply, contact the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs Office of Education: or call 1(202) 208-6123.


How to Apply
  1. File a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at . The City College FAFSA school code is 002688.

  2. First time Federal Direct Loan applicants must complete online Entrance Counseling and an electronic MPN (eMPN) for your Federal Direct Loan(s) at:

  3. Check your CUNY e-mail and your CUNYfirst “To Do List” to make sure you do not have any further items you need to submit or complete.

  4. Once FAFSA is completed, all matriculated Graduate students will automatically be “Packaged” with a federal Direct Unsubsidized student loan each academic year. Graduate students will be required to “Accept” their loan via the “Accept/Decline”. Prior to accepting the loan, a graduate student will have the option to decrease the amount of unsubsidized loan that has been offered.

CUNYfirst navigation: Self Service  ->  Student Center  ->  Finances  ->  Accept/Decline Awards

Note: Prior to accepting the loan, a graduate student will have the option to decrease the amount of unsubsidized loan that has been offered.

  • ​​It is advised to request a loan for all of the semesters in an academic year, that you will be enrolled for. (One academic year consists of the Summer, Fall and Spring semesters). If you ask for a one semester loan, you will need to complete an “Additional Loan Request” form, to receive a loan for another semester. Please visit the "Forms" tab on our webpage.




Loans disbursed on or after 7/1/17 and before 6/30/18


Aggregate Loan Limit: $20,500


Grad PLUS:

The annual loan limit is determined by the student’s CUNY “Cost of Attendance.” There is no aggregate limit.



Change/Cancellation Request Forms
Loan Disbursement
When the MPN has been accepted by the federal processor, and eligibility has been confirmed, a loan payment will be generated for the next scheduled disbursement (payment) date. Loan refunds are disbursed once a week, on Fridays. When a disbursement is scheduled, the Bursar will automatically deduct unpaid tuition and fees.  Student loan funds can be: 1.) Mailed as a check 2.) Direct deposited to a bank account.
Loan Repayment

Loan Repayment Estimartor
Repayment Checklist

Student loan repayment begins six (6) months after:

  1. A student graduates.
  2. A student is no longer enrolled.
  3. A student has been enrolled for less than half-time.

Feel free to view the information regarding:

Please visit Federal Direct Loans for more details.

Loan Forgiveness Program

In certain situations, students can have their federal student loan forgiven, canceled, or discharged. To view criteria, please visit:

Contact Information

Wille Administration Building
Room 104
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
p: 212.650.6656
f: 212.650.5829

School Code
FAFSA: 002688
TAP : 1411

More Information...

Make An Appointment