Post-Baccalaureate Eligibility Requirements
Admission to the program as a Post-Baccalaureate student is a two-step process: you must first complete the City University Transfer Application and apply online as a second-degree, undergraduate transfer student. Students are encouraged to apply directly online. The link to apply online is here:
The second part of the admissions process requires that you submit the following documents:
- The Program in Premedical Studies Secondary Application: Post-Baccalaureate Application.
- Two letters of recommendation - Letters of recommendation can either be included with your application or sent separately to the Director of the program. Letters do not necessarily have to be from faculty; anyone who you feel can provide us with a recommendation as to why they feel you would make a good candidate for this program as well as for professional school would suffice.
Please note: due to the high instances of forged letters of recommendation, letters of recommendation must be written on your recommender's department/institution/company letterhead and they must be signed.
- A current cv/resume;
- A personal statement. Students are asked to respond to the following question: "Please describe your professional goals. Include in this description a discussion of the factors and experiences which contributed to their formulation."
- An official transcript(s) from the college/university(s) you received your bachelor's degree, with the notion that you have been officially graduated with a final, cumulative GPA.
Please note that a minimum 2.8 cumulative undergraduate grade point average is required for admission to the program.Any application received with a final, cumulative GPA of less than 2.8 will not be considered.
- Post-baccalaureate students do not have separate sections of math and science courses. They register for the same courses as our undergraduate students;
- Priority registration is always given to undergraduate students. As a result, registration for math and science courses for our post-baccalaureate/2nd degree students will represent a challenge.
- The Program in Premedical Studies at The City College of New York post-baccalaureate program is a program for career changers. If you are researching a post-baccalaureate program to enhance your undergraduate science grades, this is not the program for you.
- The program in Premedical Studies cannot support students who are applying to the following programs: Nursing, Physician's Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Public Health or Pharmacy.
- All post-baccalaureate students must demonstrate that they have completed Pre-calculus before they will be permitted to register for any science courses. If a post-baccalaureate student cannot provide evidence that they have successfully completed Pre-calculus, (ie, a transcript) they will be required to take the Math Placement Test PRIOR to their Orientation/Registration tot he college.
- If the test determines that you are not currently testing at the Pre-calculus level you will NOT be permitted to register for any science courses.
- No post-baccalaureate student will receive a committee letter from the Director of the Premedical Studies Program who has earned fewer than 24 City College science credits;
- All post-baccalaureate students must also maintain a 3.2 grade point average to remain in the program.
All materials must be received by the Premedical Studies Office by the following:
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Spring Semester: December 1
- Summer Semester: May 1
All supporting documents described above can be sent to us at the following address:
Belinda G. Smith, MA
Director, The Program in Premedical Studies
The City Colleg of New York
Marshak Science Building, Room 529
Convent Ave at 138th Street
New York, NY 10031
Please call us at 212-650-6622 or e-mail us at email@example.com with any questions.