MA Program Policies




Good Standing: All M.A. students are required to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in their courses. Furthermore, the College requires that all graduate students maintain an overall GPA of 3.0. Earning a grade of B- or lower in an M.A. course is cause for concern because it puts students in jeopardy of falling below the required GPA. The Graduate History Committee and the College will automatically place students on academic probation if their overall GPA falls below a 3.0. Students who fail to restore their GPA to 3.0 or higher during the first semester on academic probation will be subject to dismissal from the program.

ADVISING: It is expected that all students will periodically meet with the Director or Deputy Director of the M.A. Program. Both Directors hold office hours on a regular basis during the fall and spring semesters.  Their office hours appear both on the Department's bulletin board outside of NAC 5/144 as well as on the History Department homepage, which is usually updated by the second or third week of every semester. During the fall and spring semesters, appointments are not necessary for office hours: you should feel free to drop by, although it is recommended that you inform the adviser in advance to avoid scheduling conflicts with other students. During the winter and summer breaks, advising is by appointment only; and the availability of the Directors and undergraduate advisers will vary depending upon their non-curricular professional commitments. For that reason, during the breaks it is recommended that students address their queries for the Directors to their email accounts. During college breaks, students requiring help with completing paperwork or clarifying complex questions related to College policies should make an appointment with the Graduate Adviser in the Dean of the Humanities Office, Migen Prifti (email: ).

COMMUNICATIONS: The vast majority of departmental correspondence, announcements, and updates are sent via email to the CCNY accounts of all registered students. It is expected that all students will regularly check for and read the departmental correspondence sent to their CCNY accounts. Likewise, the Directors of the Program are available to address students' questions by email as well as in person.

THE ACADEMIC CALENDAR: Each semester, the College publishes an academic calendar that lists not only the academic schedule but also the most important curricular deadlines for the College community. To consult the Academic Calendar, go to:

As these various deadlines regulate the curricular calendar of the M.A. Program, it is imperative that students consult the Academic Calendar at the beginning of each semester and note all the deadlines that pertain to them. Among others, the deadlines for registering for classes, for the resolution of "incompletes" and for "withdrawal" from current classes all appear on the Academic Calendar.

REGISTRATION FOR CLASSES AND REGISTRATION BLOCKS: Students entering the M.A. program will not be able to register for classes without first meeting with the Director or Deputy Director. After meeting with an adviser, students will be able to register for classes through CUNYFirst. (For registration, log on to CUNYFirst at Students should inform themselves of the dates for registration, listed under their CUNYFirst account; and they should register for classes at the earliest date possible, in order to ensure their admission to classes of their choice. (There are numerical caps on the enrollments of all graduate courses in history).

Students with registration blocks will not be permitted to register for classes until they take action to have them removed. There are various reasons for registration blocks, which can usually be deciphered by one of the Program Directors, or the Graduate Adviser in the Humanities Office.  It is the responsibility of the student to resolve all blocks before the closure of registration for the upcoming semester; for this reason, it is strongly recommended that all students check their CUNYFirst account well in advance of the closure of registration in order to identify and resolve in a timely manner any registration blocks.

INDEPENDENT STUDY: In certain circumstances a student may wish to request to pursue an Independent Study with an individual instructor. Normally, Independent Study is only requested and granted to meet special student needs that are not covered by regular course offerings. The granting of an Independent Study is at the discretion of the faculty member, who is responsible for filing the "Request for Independent Study" with the Office of the Registrar. It is understood that each instructor will structure independent study courses differently and that the student should establish the content with the instructor and seek clarification of the individual instructor's availability, expectations and requirements for final work before the submission of the "Request" to the Registrar. There are limits on the number of Independent Study courses that may count towards the degree at City College.  The Program adheres to the guidelines set forth in the Handbook on Academic Policies and Procedures (2008):

″Students must have completed nine credits in the Program;

″No more than four credits of Independent Study may be awarded per semester;

″A maximum of nine credits in Independent Study may be credited towards the degree; additionally no more than fifteen credits in both Independent Study and Fieldwork may be applied toward the degree;

″A record of the specific topic approved for study for each student must be kept in the departmental file.

WITHDRAWALS: In the case that a student cannot complete the coursework for a class by the end of the semester, it is strongly recommended that the student "withdraw" from that class. To withdraw from a class the student must first obtain a "Withdrawal Form" from the Registrar's Office or the Information Center in the NAC Lobby (NAC 1/205). The student should then: complete their part of the "Withdrawal Form"; submit the form to both their course instructor and an adviser for signature and dating; and, finally, submit the completed form to theHumanities Division. Students who wish to withdraw from a class with a grade of "W" must effectively do so before the deadline for withdrawal set by the College and listed on academic calendar.

INCOMPLETES: In the case that the College deadline for withdrawal from classes has passed and a student cannot complete their work for a class in a timely manner it is incumbent upon the student to request an "incomplete" of their instructor well before the College deadline for the instructor's submission of grades. The granting of the "incomplete" remains at the discretion of the instructor, and in the case that it is granted the student should hold themselves to any new deadline for the submission of missing work given by the instructor.In the case that the instructor does not stipulate a new deadline for the missing work, students MUST consign their missing work to the instructor well before the College's official deadline for the instructor's submission of a letter grade to replace the "INC": the College deadline for incompletes in graduate courses appears on the Academic Calendar and must be respected. Per College rules, unresolved incompletes--that is, incompletes for which a grade has not been received by the pertinent deadline--automatically become "F"s after the relevant date listed on the Academic Calendar.

APPEALS: A student who has a grievance about a letter grade should appeal first to the instructor involved. If no resolution can be reached, the student should then consult the Chair and, finally, the Dean of the Humanities. Appeals concerning grievances regulated by College-wide policies should be made directly to the Dean of the Humanities.

CUNY Policy on Academic Integrity and the Pending grade "PEN": Please familiarize yourself with the CUNY policy on academic integrity. You can download a copy of the policy at