All students in the program must write a masters thesis of approximately 40 pages on a topic of their choice (in consultation with your faculty mentor). The thesis process involves the following:
CHOOSING A MENTOR
Students must choose a faculty mentor with whom they will work during the thesis process. You choose your mentor, then register for the section of Thesis Writing (B9900), which is available for you in the MIA office, NAC 4/146. A second reader will be provided by the MIA. Both your mentor and the second reader must approve your final manuscript prior to it being accepted.
The final manuscript should include (in this order):
- A cover page that includes the following: (1) the title, (2) your name, (3) the month and year of graduation, (4) the name of your thesis advisor, and (5) the phrase, "Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Master of International Affairs at the City College of New York"
- Table of contents
- 250-350 word abstract
- Text of thesis
The thesis should be double-spaced and divided into chapters. Each new chapter should begin on a separate page. Chapter headings should be centered and the type bold and underlined.
- Subheads should be aligned left and underlined.
- Do not use any other headings in your manuscript.
- Page numbers should appear on the bottom center of every page.
- The left margin of ever page should be 1½ inches; the other margins should be 1 inch.
- Use footnotes rather than endnotes as your citation style.
- Include a conclusion at the end of your manuscript.