From City to the World - COVID-19 Roundtable
May 27, 2020
The public health imperative to stay home has introduced new challenges on a wide scale for mental health, maintaining cybersecurity in our virtual world, and for those with extra time, occupying oneself with home entertainment. In a program dedicated to some of the practical realities of this period, learn key steps to keep your computer and identity safe, discover support systems like the practical application of Eastern and Western philosophy, and consider how world cinema can counter isolation, and isolationism, by connecting us with others and ourselves.
Host: CCNY President Vincent Boudreau
Guests: Jerry Carlson, Professor of Media and Communication Arts in CCNY’s Division of Humanities and the Arts; Louis Marinoff, Professor of Philosophy in CCNY’s Division of Humanities and the Arts; Tarek N. Saadawi, Professor of Electrical Engineering in CCNY's Grove School of Engineering, director of CCNY's Center for Information Networking and Telecommunications, and Co-Founder and Co-Director of CCNY's new Cybersecurity master's program.
Recorded: May 22, 2020
Online resources mentioned during this episode:
- CCNY MS in Cybersecurity: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/cybersecurity
- Internet Infrastructure Security: Interview with Prof. Saadawi: http://foreignpolicyconcepts.com/tarek-saadawi-on-internet-infrastructure-security/
- Top agencies warn cyber criminals are using coronavirus to step up hacking efforts: https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/491747-top-agencies-warn-cyber-criminals-are-using-coronavirus-to-step-up
- American Philosophical Practitioners Association: https://appa.edu
- CUNY TV: https://tv.cuny.edu/about.php
- The British Film Institute polls and surveys: www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/polls-surveys
- JustWatch streaming guide: https://www.justwatch.com/
- The Criterion Channel: https://www.criterionchannel.com/
April 30, 2020
The idea that we're all in this together takes on powerful and multidimensional meanings in Harlem, City College's historic home base. In partnership with the Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce (GHCC), City College, and its community radio station, WHCR-90.3 "The Voice of Harlem," are currently presenting a series of COVID-19 public service broadcasting. In this episode, hear how CCNY and organizations like tech leader Silicon Harlem and the GHCC are working individually and together -- both on the ground and in vision planning for what's next -- on a crisis that disproportionately devastates communities like Harlem and its neighbors in northern Manhattan and the Bronx.
Host: Imhotep Gary Byrd
Guests: CCNY President Vincent Boudreau; Lloyd A. Williams, President and CEO of the Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce; Clayton Banks, co-founder and CEO of Silicon Harlem.
Recorded: April 20, 2020