Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher (TEACH) Education Grant


The TEACH GrantProgram is a federal program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year ($8,000 total award) to graduate students preparing to be teachers in a high-need field. 

Recipients are required to fulfill a service obligation to work as full-time teachers in public or private schools in the U.S. that serve low-income families.

The TEACH Grant is not a needs-based grant, but a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)application is required and is open to U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens


To complete the service obligation, recipients must work as certified teachers in the field of their CCNY master's degree for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing their master's degrees.

Failure to complete the service obligation will cause all received TEACH Grant funds to be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. The loan must be repaid to the U.S. Department of Education with interest accrued from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.


  • Complete the FAFSA
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled as a graduate student in a eligible CUNY School of Education graduate program
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework.
  • Be either a full-time or part-time student
  • Non-degree students are ineligible for the award
  • Students whose GPA falls below 3.25 are ineligible for the award
  • New graduate students with undergraduate GPA below 3.25 are ineligible for the award
  • Students not enrolled in one of the areas of high need listed are ineligible for the award


TEACH Grant Applications:
Please contact us at edgradadm@ccny.cuny.edu to request an application for either the graduate or undergraduate program.


If I am a part-time student, can I receive the full $8,000?
The maximum award of the TEACH Grant is $8,000. The award is paid according to the number of registered credits.

There is a reduction in awards due to the Sequester.

Is a completed Agreement-to-Serve (ATS) required each year?
Yes. To continue receiving the grant, students must complete the Entrance Counseling and sign the ATS eachyear.

Do I have to teach within in the same school for the full four years?
You can complete the required four years within any qualifying school.

How do I notify the government once I have fulfilled my service obligation?
You must provide documentation to the U.S. Department of Education's Direct Loan Servicing Center (DLSC) at the end of each year of teaching. You must reply quickly to periodic request for information from the DLSC.

Am I obligated to complete my teaching obligation in four consecutive years or can I take a break?
You have 8 years to complete your teaching obligation, which starts after you complete your academic studies.

If I complete only half of my teaching obligation, does only half of my grant become a loan?
If you do not complete the full four years of service, all of your grant will be converted to an unsubsidized direct loan. Interest is added.

Is there a penalty if my GPA falls below the minimum 3.25?
If your overall GPA falls below the minimum 3.25 in any given term, you will become ineligible for the TEACH Grant for the following semester. If you bring your GPA above a 3.25 the following semester, you can reapply for the grant.

Example: Term-ending Spring 2011 overall GPA below 3.25, then Fall 2011 term is an ineligible term for the TEACH Grant award. If at the end of the Fall 2011 term your GPA is 3.25 or higher, you may submit an application for consideration for the Spring 2012 term. It takes approximately four to six weeks to process, so plan accordingly.

When do I get the grant, at the beginning of the term or after my grades are in?
The City College Office of Financial Aid processes and issues your grant in the semester. You can expect to receive your grant money after your application is approved and/or GPA from the semester prior is on your record. It takes approximately four to six weeks to process, so plan accordingly.

What do I do if I am not registered?
You must immediately contact the Office of Financial Aid and complete the Exit Counseling Session at http://www.nslds.ed.gov

Can I cancel a TEACH Grant?
You will have to notify the City College Office Financial Aid in writing within 10 days after you receive notification of your grant approval or by the first day of the grant payment. At this point, the grant will be returned and will not be converted to an unsubsidized loan. Note: A TEACH Grant cancellation form is provided with each award letter.

What if I do not complete the four years of teaching within the first 8 years, can the Agreement to Serve be suspended or extended?
If you do not complete the four years of teaching within the eight years the grant will be converted to an unsubsidized loan.

You may request a temporary suspension from your service obligation if,

  1. You enroll in another teaching certification program after completing the program for which you received the TEACH Grant
  2. You have a condition covered under Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
  3. A call or order to active duty within the U.S. Armed Forces

Do you have additional questions?
Please email us at  edgradadm@ccny.cuny.edu  and write TEACH Grant Question in the subject line.

Last Updated: 09/01/2021 17:29