|Dean Edwin M. Lamboy|
Welcome to The City College of New York School of Education website!
As Dean, I am honored to represent and work with faculty and staff who are deeply committed to teacher education, urban schools, and scholarship that informs policy as well as practice. I am equally honored to represent and serve a student body that exemplifies diversity in all of its manifestations, an asset that my colleagues and I cherish and nurture.
The City College School of Education just celebrated its centennial. This celebration not only gave us the opportunity to reflect on our numerous achievements, but also allowed us to envision the many ways in which we could continue transforming, rethinking, and reimagining education in New York City and in the country. It is a most exciting time for us, as the next 100 years are full of possibilities.
I invite you to explore our website and learn more about how the School of Education can help you make an impact on the lives of young children and youth. I hope you get inspired to come to our beautiful campus and pay us a visit!
The City College School of Education prepares knowledgeable, reflective and caring educators who are qualified and committed to teaching and leading diverse communities. (You can read more about the mission in our Conceptual Framework (links to long & short version)
Our Vision Statement
The School of Education of The City College of New York prepares educators to support students of our diverse communities to meet the challenges of the 21st century and to be active participants in our democracy. To this end, we uphold and extend the college's historic mission of access and excellence for "the children of the whole people" of the City of New York.
As teachers, scholars, and learners, we seek to
- Educate teachers and leaders who are responsive to the needs of urban schools, who can use students' diversity as a resource, and who can maximize learning for all;
- Engage in scholarship that advances knowledge, informs policy, and improves practice so that all students have support and an opportunity to receive a quality education;
- Join, encourage, advocate, teach, and learn in collaborative school and community improvement efforts locally, nationally, and internationally to help shape educational settings now and in the future.
Uniting our efforts is our commitment to education as a moral endeavor that can enhance the human condition, realize possibilities, and make the world a more just place.
Initiatives concerning Social Justice
Our Mission is to prepare knowledgeable, reflective and caring educators who are qualified and committed to teaching and leading diverse communities.
- School of Education Faculty & Staff Statement
- Dean's statement on the brutal killing of George Floyd
- In Solidarity: Standing Against Systemic Racism and Oppression by The School of Education Ad-Hoc Committee on Democratic and Caring Communities
- In Solidarity with the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Community Across the Nation
- CCNY Statement on Diversity, Inclusivity, Equality & Respect
- Prompted by Events in Ukraine
Governance of the School of Education
Last Updated: 10/26/2023 11:39