Graduation & Certification


Students must apply for graduation several months prior to the expected date of graduation. You must apply via CUNYfirst. Check with your advisor to make sure you have met all the requirements for graduation. If you discover that you will not be able to graduate as planned, you must rescind your application to graduate, and then reapply for the next graduation.Updates are not automatic. In order to graduate, all stops on your record must be cleared, including bursar, library, financial aid, etc.  Dates to apply via CUNYfirst are announced each semester by the Registar


How do I apply for State certification?

The process of applying for certification consists of two parts: the student's responsibility and the College's. You must file an application with New York State through their TEACH Online Services application system. You can do this by downloading the Student Information Sheet from the Certification Office website and following the steps carefully. The College's responsibility is to submit an electronic recommendation on your behalf, which is done once your program advisor completes a degree audit and submits it to the College's Certification Officer, Ms. Margaret Schehl.  This is generally done around the time of graduation (February, September, and June), after all grades are in for the most recent semester. Once all of the required items (including fingerprinting, New York State Examination results, workshops in Child Abuse, School Violence Prevention and DASA training) are in the State system, an evaluation will be done. If all items are satisfied, the State will issue the certificate, and you will appear in the State system as certified. If you complete a student teaching course as a part of your program, participate in the three required Friday workshops and receive a passing grade in EDUC 41900 (the Child Abuse and Health Education Seminar for undergraduate students) or EDUC 1900G (the Child Abuse and Health Education Seminar for graduate students) you do not have to send proof of workshop completion to the New York State Education Department. Your passing grade will be sufficient to verify their completion. Completion of the workshops may also be included on your final transcript. If you are applying for initial certification, you will not receive a physical teacher certificate. If you would like one, you will have to go on the state website to request one (and pay a fee). If you are applying for professional certification, you will automatically be sent a physical certificate. 

What State certification exams do I have to take? 

For certification as a teacher or school leader in New York State, all candidates must pass several certification examinations (such as the CST, the EAS and the edTPA). Please note that these requirements are set by the State, not by City College, and are subject to change. At orientations for newly admitted students, program faculty will give you important information on these examinations. Check the New York State website for more and current information. Passing these exams is not a requirement for graduation, but they are required for State certification.

What program code should I use to apply for my certificate on the TEACH Online system?

Select the program code that corresponds to the CCNY School of Education program that you completed or are completing.  If you still need help identifying the correct code, please contact the certification officer, Jose Osorio ( ).

Last Updated: 10/21/2022 16:27