From NY State of Health
To further protect the public health of New Yorkers as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency, a Special Enrollment Period is available to New Yorkers during which eligible individuals will be able to enroll in insurance coverage through NY State of Health and directly through insurers.
Please refer to the following announcements:
- Special Enrollment Period for Uninsured New Yorkers to Apply for Coverage through NY State of Health or directly to Insurers is extended through May 15, 2020
- If You Lost Employer Coverage, You Must Apply Within 60 Days of Losing Coverage; Because of Loss of Income, New Yorkers May Also Be Eligible for Medicaid, the Essential Plan, Subsidized Qualified Health Plans or Child Health Plus
- Pursuant to the new federal law, Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), that went into effect on Wednesday, March 18, 2020, all Medicaid coverage in effect on the date the law was enacted will continue during the COVID-19 emergency. Although some Medicaid enrollees may have already received notices from NY State of Health that their coverage will end on March 31, 2020, the coverage will be continued. Any cases terminated after March 18, 2020 during the period of the COVID-19 emergency will be reinstated with no gap in coverage. Additionally, all Medicaid, Child Health Plus and Essential Plan cases that are due for recertification during the COVID-19 emergency period will be automatically renewed for a four-month period. The situation will be re-evaluated to determine if additional changes need to be made
The best ways consumers can receive assistance at this time is to contact a navigator or other NY State of Health assistors for help:
- Call the Customer Service Center at 1-855-355-5777
- Visit the website NY State of Health Website to find an enrollment assistor and receive enrollment assistance over the phone. There is also a dedicated page on the website for Coronavirus and COVID-19 information.
The following links will direct you to contact information, enrollment assistors, and other resources on COVID-19:
Please stay updated on announcements and information by visiting www.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/