Analytical Dynamics - Physics V1100
- Newton’s laws of motion
- Lagrangian formulation
- The central force problem
- The motion of rigid bodies
- The Hamiltonian formalism
- Continuous systems and fields.
- Relativistic dynamics.
Instructor: Sebastian Franco
Office: Marshak Science Building, 315
Office hours: Mon, Wed 2:30-3:30
- But feel free to pass by my office or write an e-mail if you have questions!
- Mondays and Wednesdays, 11:45 am to 1:25 pm
- Room: MR408
- “Lectures on Classical Dynamics”, David Tong, University of Cambridge
- “Classical Mechanics”, Lenny Susskind, Stanford University
Lecture notes available in:
The pace of the course will be adapted and adjusted as we proceed, allowing time for problems and review. No definite time schedule will be offered at this time.
- Cheating and plagiarism: Cheating in homework, exams or in any under any circumstances is a serious offence that will result in severe academic consequences.
- Exams: one Midterm exam and one comprehensive Final.
- Grades: Your letter grade will be based on a numerical score to be computed as follows:
- Homework 30%
- Midterm 30%
- Final 40%
No single contribution will guarantee you pass the course, so you are strongly advised to take advantage of all of them.
- Main communications will be through e-mail.
- The instructor reserves the right to make changes during the semester as he sees fit for the course and announce them as they occur. It is the students’ responsibility to remain informed about the course and be alert of any changes or new information.