Syllabus Summer 2019 Physics 20800 1XW
Instructor: Dr. Kazi Abu Sayeed
Class Hours: M Tu Th 6:00 – 7: 40 pm
Class Room: Marshak 2 (Lecture)
Recitation Hours: M Tu 8:00 – 9:40 pm
Office Hours: M Tu Th 4:00 – 4:30 pm
Text Book: Resnick, Halliday and Walker,
Fundamentals of Physics (10th Ed.)
Other useful texts
• http://openstaxcollege.org: This site has free textbooks for various subjects including a calculus based physics text.
• Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 4th Ed. By Giancoli,
• Physics for Scientists and Engineers, by Serway and Jewett.
Quizzes (Wileyplus): 15%
Home Work (Wileyplus): 10%
Midterm Exam (2): 40% (20% each)
Final Exam: 30%
• There will be a Quiz every day at the beginning of the class.
• Duration is 10 minutes.
• The topic will be the lesson of the previous class.
• Type of questions will be multiple choice with work to show for mathematical problems.
• There will be no make up for the quiz.
• There will be no quiz on the days after the midterm exams.
• There will be one HW each week.
• You have to upload the HW in the blackboard at the assigned area.
• Duration – one week.
• There will be no late submission (except for special situations, in that case talk to me.)
• I’ll collect the attendance from the quiz.
• The attendance will include the presence and participation in the recitation as well.
• There will be two midterm exams
• For the date and syllabus for each of the midterm exam, please check the table below.
• The midterm exams will take place during the recitation hours.
• The recitation classes will be used as mentoring sessions, where you will be solving assigned problems.
• Also we will discuss questions that you will have.
• Use of Cell Phone is strictly prohibited in the class, regardless of the reason. Please keep them in silence and inside your pocket/bag. It should not be displayed under any circumstance.
• No Laptop either. Take notes on papers; that is more useful. If you use smart notebook it must be some kind of iPad.
• If you fail to refrain yourself from the use of these devices, I will help you by keeping them on the front desk. You can collect them after the class.
• Keep a scientific calculator with you- its mandatory. You will need it in the class.
Date Chapters Date Chapter
06/03/2019 M Ch 16: Waves I 06/27/2019 Th Ch 26: Current and Resistance
06/04/2019 Tu Ch 17: Waves II 07/01/2019 M Ch 27: Circuits
06/06/2019 Th Ch 34: Images(Ray Optics) 07/02/2019 Tu Ch 28: Magnetic Fields
06/10/2019 M Ch 35: Interference (Wave Optics) 07/04/2019 Th Ch 29: Magnetic Fields due to Currents
06/11/2019 Tu Ch 36: Defraction (Wave Optics) 07/08/2019 M Review during class Midterm Exam 2 during recitation
Syllabus(Ch 21 – 27)
06/13/2019 Th Ch 21: Coulomb’s Law
Ch 22: Electric Field 07/09/2019 Tu Ch 30: Induction and Inductance
06/17/2019 M Review during class Midterm Exam 1 during recitation
Syllabus(Ch 16,17,34 – 36) 07/11/2019 Th Ch 31: Electromagnetic Oscillation and Alternating Current
06/18/2019 Tu Ch 22: Electric Field 07/15/2019 M Ch 32: Maxwell’s Equ.: Magnetism in matter
06/20/2019 Th Ch 23: Gauss’s Law 07/16/2019 Tu Ch 33: Electromagnetic Waves
06/24/2019 M Ch 24: Electric Potential 07/18/2019 Th Review for the Final Exam
06/25/2019 Tu Ch 25: Capacitance 07/22/2019 M Review for the Final Exam
07/23/2019 Tu Final Exam (during the class hour)
*Note: The syllabus is subject to change as per necessity