If you see a fire:
- Call the Fire Department (911 on campus or off), or
- Call the Public Safety Emergency Number (212) 650-7777 or extension 6911 or
- Pull the nearest fire alarm box
Fire Emergency Procedures
- Evacuate your area
- Close, but do not lock doors behind you
- Follow instructions by Public Safety officers or Fire Floor Wardens
- Proceed to evacuate the building through designated exit areas
- Before entering any stairwell, touch the door with the palm of your hand and if it is warm or hot, do not enter the stairwell - Proceed to the next stairwell.
- Walk downstairs; do not run. - Do not panic - Remain calm.
- When going down a stairwell, keep your head turned toward the center wall of the stairwell as this precaution will give more protection to your face and eyes in the event of an explosion.
- It is dangerous to use elevators during an evacuation - Use elevators only when authorized to do so by the Fire Department
- When using the down escalators, make long and wide turns going from one escalator to the next escalator in order to prevent congestion
- When you are outside the building, move approximately 200 feet away from the entrance or to the designated evacuation area
- Public Safety will notify you when the building is safe for re-entry