THE ID OFFICE IS A DIVISION OF THE PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT
WE ARE CONVENIENTLY LOCATED IN THE NAC LOBBY, ROOM 1/205
ID OFFICE HOURS
MONDAY 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
WEDNESDAY 9:00 M to 3:00 PM
ID OFFICE OPERATIONS DURING THE COVID19 CLOSING
The ID Office is located in NAC 1/205. We will be open with limited services on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM starting Monday, August 24. We will be closed for ½ hour each day so the single staff member assigned can take a meal break.
ID Cards will be created from information sent to us via Email and the ID Cards will printed and sent to the recipient via the US Postal Services (see below for the procedure). We will only serve in person those pre-authorized to be on campus for other functions. These services include issuing ID Cards and handing out validation stickers. Validation stickers will be available in the ID office (see hours above) or in the Public Safety Office, NAC 4/201, weekdays from 10 AM to 3:00 PM. Again, in person services will only be available to those pre-authorized to be on campus already, We all need to stay safe so you MUST wear a protective mask and maintain a minimum distance of 6 feet between people.
You may use your existing ID card at the College if it has an expired Spring 2020 validation sticker.
NEW ID CARDS FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN, TRANSFER STUDENTS AND NEW FACULTY AND STAFF:
Incoming Freshmen, Transfer Students and new Faculty and Staff who do not already have a CCNY Student ID card may email a photo to us with the information required below so we may create an ID card for them.
The advantages of sending in your photo are:
You get to pick the photo, as long as it meets the requirements below. You will avoid the very long lines to have your photo taken during the first week of classes.
Activate your CityMail account. Instructions can be found here: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/orientation/activate-your-citymail
Make sure your mailing address is current. You can make changes through your CUNYfirst account.
The email must include:
Your full name as it appears in CUNYFirst
Your EMPLD ID number - Please make sure it is accurate
Your date of birth as it is in CUNYFirst
If there is a problem with your photo you will receive an email from the ID Office. We will mail your new ID card to your address on file once we create it. Please give us time as we have a limited staff on duty.
Requirements for photo:
File must be either .jpeg or .gif - ONLY these two file formats are acceptable. The file should be no larger than 2 MB - 1MB is preferred.
• Current color photo taken within the last six months
• Neutral color with a smooth background – no patterns or bright colors
• Proper lighting with no filter
• Centered front view of face
• No masks or face coverings
• Cropped from just above the top of the head to the collarbone
• Eyes open and visible
• Wear prescription glasses if you normally do so
What will get your photo rejected:
• Glare on glasses
• Eyes closed
• Shadows on the face
• Other visible people, objects, or text
• Inappropriate expressions
• Group photos
• Blurry photos
• Black and white photos
• Photos with your hand resting on your face
• Cropped off top of your head or a side angle of your face
Thank you for bearing with us during these trying times.
The ID Office Staff
OBTAINING AN ID CARD FROM THE CCNY ID OFFICE - NAC 1/205To obtain a CCNY ID card an applicant must first show proof of affiliation with the college by providing one of the following documents:
Students: A paid Bursar's receipt.
Faculty, staff or other authorized persons (vendors, contractors, etc.): An authorization letter from a department head or from the Office of Human Resources (You can download a copy of the form is at the bottom of this page).
In addition, the applicant must show proof of identity by providing any of the below items.
ACCEPTABLE IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS:
- United States Passport (unexpired or expired)
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Drivers license or ID card issued by a state of outlying possession of the U.S. provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color and address
- Unexpired foreign passport
- Alien Registration Receipt Card
- Unexpired Temporary Residence Card
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Card
- Unexpired Reentry Permit Unexpired Refugee Travel Document
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by INS with Photograph
- ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color and address
- School identification card with photograph
- U.S. military ID card
- Native American tribal document
- Drivers license issued by a Canadian government authority
- Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State
- Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying U.S. possession and bearing an official seal
- U.S. Citizen ID Card
- School record, report card, Bursar's receipt, school or class schedule (for individuals under 18 who are unable to present one of the documents listed above)
CCNY WILL NOT HONOR THE FOLLOWING ITEMS AS PROOF OF IDENTITY:
- Credit cards (unless a photo is inscribed on the card)
- Check cashing cards
- Food Store courtesy cards
- ATM/debit cards
- Pay stubs
- Canceled checks
- Health insurance cards (unless supported with hospital records)
- Social Security Cards
FILING A CHANGE OF INFORMATION FORMThe name on your CCNY records must match the name on the identification document presented to the ID Office. If there are discrepancies between the name on an applicant's proof of identity and the Admissions documents/Records (e.g.. different name due to divorce, marriage or change of name), the applicant must reconcile these data by filing a change of information form with the Registrar, with one of the acceptable identification documents listed above.
Step 1: Present information authenticating your identity to the CCNY Registrar.
Step 2: Bring proof of the name change obtained from the registrar's office to the ID Office along with your 30 day temporary ID card. You will be issued a validated ID card.
If the records have not been reconciled with the 30 day temporary ID expiration date, the expired card is subject to confiscation and further access to the campus facilities will be prohibited. A "STOP" code may be placed on your CCNY records.
VISITOR PASSESThe ID card Unit and/or the NAC Lobby Security Officer issue Passes to authorized visitors and guests who first present a proper photo ID. The Visitors Passes do not contain a photo of the visitor. Please contact the ID Office for additional information.
Criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second degree when, with knowledge that it is forged and with intent to defraud, deceive or injure another, he utters or possesses any forged instrument of a kind specified in section 170.10. Criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second degree is a class D felony.
Download an ID Card Request Form >
Fill out and submit ID Office Student Information Form