1. What is the AccessAbility Center/Student Disability Services?

The AccessAbility Center/Student Disability Services (AAC/SDS) serves the needs of a large and diverse community of students with disabilities attending The City College of New York. AAC/SDS has a commitment to providing equal access and full participation through a wide range of accommodations and support services to students with disabilities. AAC/SDS staff works closely with faculty, staff, and departments in the development of academic adjustments and support services that allow students with disabilities to fully participate in the all programs, services, and activities offered at the college.

2. Where is the AAC/SDS located?

AAC/SDS is located in the North Academic Center (NAC building), in Room 1/218. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the physical office is closed until further notice. You can visit our virtual front desk at https://ccny.zoom.us/s/116151245.   

3. What are the hours of operation for the AAC/SDS?

AAC/SDS is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, and has extended hours during peak exam times.  Additionally, summer hours do vary.  Please visit the homepage for updates on the hours of operation.

4. What kinds of disabilities are served?

Students with all disabilities are served, including those that are visible and those that are not visible. Disabilities recognized under the law include, but are not limited to learning, blind/visually impaired, deaf/hard of hearing, medical, neurological, physical, psychological, and substance abuse (in recovery). AAC/SDS supports students with conditions that are both temporary and ongoing in nature.   

5. Does AAC/SDS conduct disability assessments and provide diagnoses?

Universities and colleges are not required to conduct or provide assessments and/or provide diagnoses for documentation of disability.  Students are fully responsible for providing appropriate documentation of their disability from a qualified professional.  AAC/SDS can supply students with referral information.  

6. If a student received accommodations and services at another college or institution, will he/she automatically receive the same accommodations and services at City College?

No, the student must contact AAC/SDS office to complete the registration process in order to receive accommodations and services at The City College.

7. How do students receive accommodations and services?

Students who chose to self-disclose their disability may register for accommodations and services by completing an application for accommodations and services and providing appropriate documentation of their disability. If a student is uncertain if he/she qualifies for accommodations and services, he/she can request an informational session with the AAC/SDS by contacting the front desk via telephone: 212-650-5913, disabilityservices@ccny.cuny.edu , virtual front desk: https://ccny.zoom.us/s/116151245, or in-person at NAC 1/218.

* Physical location closed until further notice

8. Are there services that AAC/SDS does not provide?

AAC/SDS does not provide personal services, including but not limited to, content-based tutoring, reimbursement for transportation, personal care attendants, medical treatment, or private transportation around campus.  

9. After accommodations and services have been determined by the AAC/SDS counselor, how are they communicated to the students' instructors?

An accommodation memo, which lists the student’s accommodations, is given directly to the student. The student is responsible for presenting the accommodation to professors. AAC/SDS is able to send memos electronically to professors, only if the student gives written consent.  

10. When should students submit their Academic Adjustment Memo to their instructors?

It is suggested that all students who receive academic  adjustment memos present them to their instructors within the first two weeks of class each semester. This make both the student and the instructor aware of the necessary accommodations, which in turn allows for successful implementation.   

11. If a student registers with AAC/SDS, will it show up on their transcript?

Information about disabilities is kept confidential and is not reported in the student's academic record.

12. What if students need modifications to their accommodations?

If the student believes their accommodations are not effective or they need to be modified in order to meet the unique demands of individualized courses, the student should contact their assigned AAC/SDS counselor.   

13. Why would two students with the same disability receive different accommodations and services?

The impact of a disability varies from person to person; thus, "Every disability is a disability of one" (US Dept. of Justice, ADA Basics).  Namely, all determinations on accommodations and services are made on an individualized and case-by-case basis.   

14. Can students with disabilities register to vote at AAC/SDS?

Yes, under the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) of 1993, the AAC/SDS is an Agency-Based Registration Site, where students are offered the opportunity to become registered voters.  Applications are available in the office.  For more information, please visit the NY State Board of Elections home page.

15. Is the implementation of accommodations optional?

The implementation of accommodations are required, according the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which was amended in 2008, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

16. What’s the exam process?

Students must submit a request via ACA/SDS’s exam portal for each test or quiz. Upon receipt, AAC/SDS works with the professor and student to work out the details of the exam. We request that students submit their requests at least 7 days prior to the exam to facilitate a smooth planning process; however, we honor all request submitted with at least 1 day’s notice.

17. Who should professors contact with questions around accommodations?

Professors can contact the student’s AAC/SDS counselor, whose contact information is listed on the accommodation memo. In addition, professors can contact the front desk.

18. What type of documentation is accepted?

AAC/SDS accepts IEPs, Evaluations, and letters from qualified professionals. AAC/SDS also provides a disability documentation request form, which can completed by a qualified professional.

19. What qualified professionals are able to provide documentation?

Qualified professional include but are not limited to licensed professionals such as medical doctors, psychiatrist, psychotherapist, counselors, and social workers.

20. How are accommodations impacted in distance learning?

Implemented accommodations can still be utilized during distance learning; however, some accommodations may not be delivered in the same way in a remote setting. Please reach out to your assigned AAC/SDS counselor to discuss specific accommodations.

Last Updated: 05/20/2021 11:16