Registering with AAC/SDS

Students with disabilities seeking accommodations and/or support services at The City College of New York are required to register with the AAC/SDS. Transfer students from other CUNY Colleges or universities follow the same registration process as any other student with the exception that they can provide a record of their accommodations and services in lieu of comprehensive disability documentation.  Requests for retroactive accommodations are considered on an individualized basis and depend on the nature and impact of the disability during specified time frames. For example, if a student missed class due to hospitalization or injury during the semester and then she/he requested disability-related absences to apply retroactively, AAC/SDS staff will consider this request.  AAC/SDS staff will engage in the interactive process, require substantiated objective evidence in the form of disability documentation, and work with the student and the faculty to negotiate the attendance policy.  Students must be aware that accommodations, such as modified attendance, require the review of the department’s academic and technical standards and consensus-driven decisions are made on these cases. 

The general registration process is as follows:
1. Identify your eligibility:

There are two standards by which students can qualify for disability services under the disability laws. ONE of these standards must be met:

You can show you have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits you in at least one major life activity (examples include walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working).

You can provide a record of a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits you in at least one major life activity.

Disabilities include but may not be limited to: Learning, psychological, neurological, medical, physical, deaf/HoH, blind/visually impaired, temporary conditions (examples may include, but are not limited to: broken limbs, hand injuries, pregnancy with induced medical symptoms, or short term impairments following surgery or medical treatments)

Temporary accommodations may be granted for a semester if students are seeking assessments, have documentation that is dated/incomplete, need assistance in ascertaining if there is the presence of a disability, and/or if the disability is temporary.

2. Make a formal request for accommodations:

Complete the Application for Accommodations and Services.

3. Provide documentation of your disability:

If students do not possess documentation, they may obtain it in two ways:

Supply your provider with the Request for Disability Documentation Provider request form to complete, or

If the provider conducts their own internal assessment, the provider can supply you with relevant documentation generated from their office. If you would like a staff member to contact your provider, complete an Authorization for Release of Information form.

4. Registration appointment:

The AAC/SDS office will then contact you to schedule a registration appointment with a counselor. Please give the office at least one week to schedule your appointment, especially during peak exam times.

Your assigned AAC/SDS counselor will review your request for accommodations, taking into consideration your self-report, disability documentation, educational records, corroborating evidence, and the requirements of your academic program in order to determine your eligibility for services and recommend appropriate accommodations.

The process of determining accommodations and services is collaborative and interactive with the student, faculty, staff, and providers, given that informed consent has been granted by the student.

5. If you have inquiries about your registration appointment, contact AAC/SDS:

Call 212-650-5913 or

Email or

Visit the office in the North Academic Center, Room 1/218. The AAC/SDS is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm during the academic year. 

Last Updated: 01/10/2019 10:37