Fall Semester Award
Sharon D. Cosloy Undergraduate Research Scholarship in Biology
The Department of Biology invites undergraduate researchers to apply to the 2021-22 Sharon D. Cosloy Undergraduate Research Scholarship in Biology. This award, which carries a prize of $2000, has been established by the Cosloy-Blank family in the memory of Professor Sharon D. Cosloy, former Chair of our department, respected researcher, dedicated mentor, and beloved teacher.
• Biology or Biotechnology or a student working in a Biology Faculty member's lab major with a GPA of at least 3.0.
• Demonstrated interest in Molecular and Cell biology, Genetics, Microbiology, and/or Biochemistry.
• Previous work on a lab research project for at least: 2 semesters (12 hrs/week) OR 1 summer (35 hrs/week).
• Plans to continue laboratory research in the 2022-22 academic year.
• An interest in continuing research activity in a scientific professional career.
Deadline to apply: Monday, October 4th, 2021
Spring Semester Awards
Graduating Seniors1.The Ward Medal- to the student with the best overall record in his/her Biology courses. Both grades received and number of courses taken will be considered in the selections of recipients.
2. The Professor William Stratford Prize- to the student demonstrating the greatest proficiency in both course work in Zoology and Zoological Research. Names of candidates are presented to the Committee on Student Selections by the Committee on Honors and Independent Studies.
3. The Professor Martin Sacks/Sylvia F. Rubin Award- to the graduating senior or Masters student demonstrating the greatest proficiency in research in Environmental Science. Names of candidates are presented to the Committee on Student Selections by the Committee in Honors and Independent Studies.
4. The August Anthony Gavasci Award- to a student demonstrating promise in research in the fields of Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or Cell Biology. A submitted paper is not required. Names of candidates may be presented to the Committee by the Committee on Honors and Independent Studies or by individual members of the department.
5. The Professor Paul L. Krupa Award for Excellence in Research- to the student completing Honors and Independent Studies who demonstrates the greatest proficiency in Research. Name of candidates are presented to the Committee by the Committee on Honors and Independent Studies.
6. The Professor Joseph Grossfield Award- to a graduating molecular biology major with a strong interest in the humanities.
7. Olivia McKenna Award- to a graduating senior who demonstrates proficiency in Neurobiology.
1.The Edmund Baermann Award in Natural Sciences- to the student completing the Biology core with the best performance in his/her courses. Candidates are selected from grade sheets for Biology 228 and 229, and examination of transcripts.
2. The Professor Paul Margolin Award- to a sophomore or junior who demonstrates creativity in research. Names of candidates may be presented to the Committee by the Committee on Honors and Independent Studies or by individual members of the department.3. The Professor Jess Hanks Award- to a sophomore or Junior, completing Biology 228, who demonstrates exceptional potential for the study of Environmental Sciences.