There are two major types of financial aid available to our students: federal and state aid, and institutional aid.
Federal Aid includes Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans. New York State provides the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for eligible graduate students who are New York State residents. In all cases, Federal and state aid is based solely on financial need. Please contact the Financial Aid office on campus for assistance with these programs.
Institutional aid includes school-wide scholarships and Civil Engineering named scholarships. Most institutional awards are based on a combination of need and merit. The school-wide scholarships are administered by the Grove School of Engineering Student Development Office. These awards are normally announced by email. Students should contact the GSOE OSD with questions.
The Civil Engineering named scholarships are from our generous alumni and are administered by the Department. A list of these scholarships is given below.
CIVIL ENGINEERING SCHOLARSHIPS FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
Applications are accepted in both Fall and Spring and are usually due in the 4th week of classes. The application with specific due date is emailed to all CE students' CCNY email accounts in the first couple weeks of classes. By completing the CE Scholarship Application, you are automatically considered for all scholarships available at the time of your application.
Representative Named Scholarships
- ASCE Met Section Robert Ridgway Award A prestigious award given each year to an ASCE student member who excelled academically throughout his/her career.
- ASCE Met Section Younger Member Forum (YMF) Service Award An annual award typically given to an ASCE student member who excelled in serving the ASCE (usually an officer of the ASCE Student Chapter).
- Bernard Haber Scholarship Two awards of up to $2,500 each to be awarded to a civil engineering student who has already completed a minimum of 9 civil engineering courses. Awards are decided based on scholarship, need and service to their community. Recipient must compose a letter of appreciation to Mr. Haber, to be delivered in person to the office of the The City College Fund.
- Civil Engineering Alumni Scholarship A fund created to support scholarships awarded annually to civil engineering students.
- DFI (Deep Foundation Institute) Stanley Merjan City College of New York Civil Engineering Scholarship $10,000 in total available to two to four outstanding civil engineering students interested in deep foundation construction.
- Frances and Edward Plotkin Scholarship An award to a junior or senior majoring in Civil Engineering, with a B+ average or higher, need, and outstanding personality. The amount of the award may vary.
- Frederick. O. X. McLaughlin Scholarship One award per year to a promising third year civil engineering student for tuition support, with strong consideration to Asians and other ethnic groups.
- FHWA Eisenhower Fellowship: Fellowships given each year to rising junior and senior undergraduate students. Multiple opportunities are available. Students are required to carry out transportation related research with faculty.
- Lee Petrella Summer Internship and Scholarship (sponsored by Thornton Tomasetti Foundation). A scholarship of $5,000 plus a summer internship with pay to one student every year. Must have taken Reinforced Concrete or Steel Structural Design before start of the summer internship.
- Moles Scholarship A scholarship of $12,500 in total and a certificate will be awarded each year to junior students with outstanding academic performance showing promise of personal development leading to a career in construction engineering and management.
- Walter Babich Civil Engineering Scholarship (1)$5,000 for full tuition each year to a civil engineering student. Recipient must compose a letter of appreciation to Mr. Babich, to be delivered in person to Elena Sturman at The City College Fund.
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
Research and teaching fellowships are available for graduate students. Please follow the link below for more information.