Frequently Asked Questions

Why study CE at CCNY?

  1. Is the Civil Engineering program ABET accredited?

The CCNY Civil Engineering (C.E.) Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, https://


  1. Is the Civil Engineering program comprehensive?

Our core program is comprehensive and addresses over 70% of the topics on the current Civil Fundamentals of Engineering exam. As juniors, students select a specialization in which to take four additional high-level courses.


  1. How long does it take to graduate?

It generally takes between 4-5 years to complete the degree if starting the program as a freshman. Transfer students can complete the degree in 2.5 years, depending on the number of credits transferred.


  1. Does the Civil Engineering program prepare students to take the FE exam?


What are the Entrance Requirements?

  1. What are the admission requirements for undergraduate freshman and transfer students?


  1. Can I get college credits for courses taken while in high school (college courses taken in the U.S. and abroad, advanced placement (A.P.) and International Baccalaureate (I.B.) examinations, A-Level Examinations, CAPE, courses, and training taken while in the military)?


  1. Will my credits transfer from my previous school?


  1. If I take a semester or longer off and decide to come back, what do I need to do?


What are the onboarding requirements?

  1. Do I have to take the math placement exam?


  1. Is there an orientation?

Yes. You will receive further information if you are accepted into GSoE.

  1. Who can I talk to?

You can speak with Ms. Lauren Shuman, general academic advisor for undergraduate Civil Engineering students.

Why Advisement?

  1. What is the purpose of advisement?

Besides discussing course selection, students meet with their advisor(s) to discuss their career goals, opportunities to get involved in student organizations, research, or internships, academic performance, and any questions or concerns. Advisors are here to support students.


  1. Do I need to be advised? By who?

Students are required to meet with their advisor at least once per semester prior to enrolling in courses for the following semester. They should meet with their advisor during “advising month.” This is during the month of October for spring and/or summer course selection and during March for fall course selection. An advisement hold is placed on the students’ record, which prevents them from enrolling in courses and is not released until the student is advised.

If you have less than 45 credits, your advisor is Ms. Lauren Shuman, the general CE advisor.

If you have 45 or more credits, your advisor is a faculty member in the CE Department, assigned by spelling of the student’s last name. Total credits refers to total credits earned, including previous colleges, not just credits earned at CCNY. New transfer students are advised by Ms. Shuman before their first semester in the CE program. After that, they are advised by a CE faculty advisor.


  1. Are there recommended sequences of classes?

Yes. Students should refer to the CE curriculum matrix: Recommended sequence of courses and their pre-requisites (Curriculum Matrix)


  1. Is there free tutoring available?

Yes. The Office of Student Development (OSD) offers free tutoring for popular courses (please visit OSD each semester for a current schedule, located in ST-2M7).

What are the Registration steps?

  1. When can I register?

The college posts enrollment dates on the student’s CUNYfirst account a few days before the first day of registration each semester. Also, just because registration starts on a certain date, does not mean student will get that date. They are assigned a date and a time. Students who do not pay their bill by a certain date will get an in house collection hold from Bursar and then do not receive an enrollment date. Then need to get that Bursar hold released and then contact Registrar for an enrollment date.


  1. What is a registration hold?

This is a hold that will prevent a student from enrolling in courses. These holds may come from various offices on campus. The student needs to look at the hold to see where they need to go to follow up.


  1. Am I allowed to register for a course for the following semester that I am currently enrolled in? Students cannot register for a course that they are currently enrolled in. They need to either drop/withdraw from the course or wait for grade to be posted (which would need to be a failing grade).


  1. I am on academic probation this semester. Am I allowed to register for courses for the following semester when registration begins?

No. Students who are not in good academic standing need to wait until all of their grades from the current semester are posted. If approved, then will be allowed to register.


  1. What is an ePermit and am I eligible to apply?


  1. How do I apply for an ePermit?

What are the Graduation requirements?

  1. If the curriculum changes, which one do I have to follow?

Periodically, we make curriculum changes to improve our program. If the changes are to pre-requisites, you must abide by the new pre-requisites. If the changes are to courses, you may elect to follow the new matrix or to follow the matrix that was in effect when you first started taking CE courses.


  1. What are pre- and co-requisites?

A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed before taking a specific course.

A corequisite is course that may be taken before or in the same semester as the course.


  1. What is the Liberal Arts requirement?


  1. What are graduation checks and what is the process?

When students have about 85-90 credits that count toward their degree, they should request a graduation check from Ms. Lauren Shuman, who will provide the student with a report of what courses are remaining and check off the courses that are completed. This is called a preliminary graduation check. This is not something that the student will receive immediately upon request. It is a document that needs some time to prepare that the student will have for their records. Some transfer students have 90 credits when they start the program. We are referring to the 90-credit mark within the Civil Engineering curriculum. A final graduation check is submitted to the Registrar when the student has completed their degree requirements.


  1. Do I need to pass FE exam to graduate?

Students need to either pass the FE exam or if eligible, they need to pass CE 40100 - Review of Civil Engineering Fundamentals in order to graduate.


  1. Do I need to apply for graduation and if so, when and how?

Students need to apply on CUNYfirst before/during the semester the student intends on finishing their degree. Students need to refer to the academic calendar for when application opens and the deadline. Students need to do this regardless if they intend on participating in any graduation ceremonies. For a guide on how to apply for graduation:

Connecting with other students?

What are the Academic Standards?

  1. How do I know if I am in bad academic standing (academic probation)?


  1. If I am in bad academic standing, what is the next step?

You will have to submit an appeal letter online.


This is the link to the form where you would send the appeal letter:

The letter needs to be in standard business format. This link shows you a template of what the letter should look like:


  1. How do I calculate my QPA?


  1. What is the F policy?

If a student earns a grade of C or better in a course they received an F in the first time, then the new grade will replace the old grade in the calculation of the overall GPA, but the F will remain on the transcript. Students are limited to a total of 16 credits of F replacement during their entire careers at CUNY, not just City College. Only F grades can be replaced by F policy. Not C- or D grades. Students are required to fill out a form for processing:


  1. Can I use the Pass/No Credit Option for any courses?

 Grove students not allowed to use the Pass/No Credit Option for any courses taken.


  1. What grade do I need to pass a course?

Courses that are shaded grey on the CE curriculum matrix require a minimum grade of ‘C’ to pass. Other courses require a grade of a ‘D’. However, grades below a ‘C’ bring down a student’s GPA and grades of ‘D’ and ‘F’ in CE courses bring down a student’s QPA.


  1. How many times am I allowed to repeat the same course?

You may only repeat a course twice (three attempts). The first time, you would not need permission. The second time, you will need the permission of the Dean’s office, by submitting an appeal letter:


The letter needs to be in standard business format. This link shows you a template of what the letter should look like:

Last Updated: 03/14/2024 12:55