Office of Clinical Practice - FAQs

The questions listed were gathered from candidates themselves. This section of the website was intended to help you get general answers to basic questions. The responses are written to cover most candidates' situations however there are always situations that may require asking for further assistance to meet your particular situation. Please feel free to email additional questions that you believe should be listed here.

The questions have been broken down into three general categories


What is fieldwork?

Fieldwork experience is defined by the New York State Commission of Education as “direct observation of teaching, participation in teaching or teaching itself that is related to the teacher education program”. Fieldwork will primarily be in school settings, however, some courses may require attendance at community board meetings, community-based organizations, or museums.  Classrooms and other appropriate settings will be chosen to support student learning and will be aligned with the requirements of the course and the students’ needs.

When do I do fieldwork?

The schedule of school visits will be determined by the student and the cooperating teacher. Keep in mind to leave a block of time in your schedule that includes travel time. Generally, candidates devote a morning or two a week to fieldwork.

How many hours do I have to complete?

Each course has its own requirements that range from 5 to 45 hours of fieldwork. Just about every course in every program has fieldwork built in (see your syllabus). Students must complete at least 100 clock hours of fieldwork experiences prior to beginning student teaching in order to meet New York State certification requirements. Students who are doing more than 40 hours of fieldwork in a semester, MUST be fingerprinted by the Department of Education prior to being placed by the Office of Clinical Practice. Visit the OCP for more information about fingerprinting.

Copies of the following documents can be picked up from the Office of Clinical Practice located in the North Academic Center, Room 6/207A:

  • List of Graduate Courses with Fieldwork – EDSE and EDUC
  • List of Graduate Courses with Fieldwork – EDCE
  • List of Special Education Courses with Fieldwork – SPED
  • List of Undergraduate Courses with Fieldwork – EDCE and EDSE

How and where do I get placed?

Students who need to be placed should come to the OCP and fill out a Placement Request Form. Upon request, the form can also be emailed to you; or . Placements are arranged around the course. Specific schools are chosen to meet the requirements for particular courses. All students, who are not already working as a teacher in a public school, are required to submit a negative Tuberculin skin test or a chest X-ray result to the Office of Clinical Practice (NAC 6/207A) prior to placement. Please note that some school sites may require that the skin test result must have been taken within one year prior to the first day of fieldwork.  See the OCP Staff for the TB Test form.  The Wellness and Counseling Center (Marshak Building, Room J15) offers a one-time free test to CCNY students.  You may also use your own physician or you may call 311 for information concerning the free Health Department Chest X-Ray Centers.  Reminder: Your completed TB test form must be brought to the OCP before you can begin your fieldwork. Once your medical form and Placement Request Form have been received, you will be placed as soon as a placement is confirmed by the school. The process is lengthy and may take up to 2 weeks.

How is fieldwork graded?

Most courses that have fieldwork factor in the fieldwork requriements as a percentage of your grade. Your completed fieldwork timesheets must be submitted to the Office of Field Experiences no later than the end of the semester. This information may be found in the course syllabus.

Student Teaching

When and how do I apply for student teaching?

Student teaching is the culminating experience in your teacher education program and should be completed during your last term at the college. Applications for student teaching are available in late September for the Spring term and early February for the Fall term. Once you pick up the application be sure to make an appointment with your advisor. For further information look at the Student Teaching Handbook and Forms, Applications and Checklists links. You may also contact the Office of Clinical Practice (OCP) and speak with one of our staff (212-650-6915) for additional information.

How do I register for student teaching?

Permission to register in CUNYfirst for student teaching, the student teaching seminar and the Friday workshops will be emailed to you by the Office of Clinical Practice’s Student Teacher Manager after you have been approved for student teaching by the Committee of Student Services. You will be responsible for registering for any other course work during the regular registration period. It is highly recommended that you do not take more than one course with student teaching due to the work load.

How are student teachers placed?

Choosing placements for student teachers is multi-faceted. Many things are considered: travel time, supervisor match and teacher match. Choosing the right placement is important in your development as a teacher.  The student teacher manager in the OFE places all student teachers in collaboration with the program advisors.

Can I choose my own site? 

Candidates are not permitted to set-up their own placements. The Office of Field Experiences and faculty are responsible for working with schools to choose placements.

How much time is required for student teaching?

300 hours of student teaching is required for all undergraduate programs, and the graduate programs in Childhood Education and all Secondary Education subject areas. The graduate program in Early Childhood Education requires a semester of full-time teaching (70 days) divided between a major and minor placement. Hours for the other Graduate programs will vary according to what Stream you have been accepted into.

What happens if I am ineligible?

If your application has been denied, you may see your advisor for next steps. The letter from the OFE generally states why your application has been denied. If you feel that your application was unjustly considered you may appeal to the Committee of Course and Standing.

Must I be fingerprinted in order to student teach?

Yes, all approved student teachers must be fingerprinted by the NYCDOE at 65 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY, as part of the student teaching process. This should be completed during the semester before you student teach.  The fingerprinting fee is $130. Email Noris Rodriguez at .

What is supervised student teaching?

This is for those candidates who are seeking Initial Certification when they are the teacher of record in a classroom setting for their program and will be observed by our college supervisor in this class. This usually occurs when a candidate is teaching in a private or parochial school setting and s/he does not have Initial Certification.

How is my grade in student teaching determined?

Your college supervisor will observe you four times during the semester and discuss your progress with your cooperating teacher. The student teaching grade will be collaboratively determined and submitted to the Director of the OCP for entry into CUNYfirst.


Will City College automatically apply for New York State Certification on my behalf?

If you have applied for graduation for a particular semester, your name will be included on a list of candidates eligible for certification. After your graduation has been approved, the certification officer will enter a recommendation for the appropriate certificate(s). The student may at any time file the application for certification, via the State's online application system.  For information and instructions, visit the CCNY Certification page.

Can I apply for certification on my own?

Candidates can apply for New York State Certification via Individual Transcript Evaluation. The burden of providing the appropriate information demonstrating the completion of the requirements would fall on the candidates themselves. The fee is also higher for individuals who apply on their own.

What tests do I need to pass to get certified?

Candidates need to have successfully taken and passed the CST (Content Specialty Test) and the EAS (Educating All Students) for Initial Certification. Visit the New York State Teacher Certification Exams website for more information.

What is the difference between New York State Certification and New York City Licensing?

In order to obtain a New York City License, you will have to already be a New York State certified teacher. New York City is the only school district in the state of New York that requires a separate license in addition to State Certification. You will receive your NYC Department of Education license after you are hired as a teacher. Visit the New York City Department of Education website for more information.

When do I need to be fingerprinted?

Fingerprinting should occur prior to the beginning of the term in which you are student teaching or sooner. Clearance can take up to three weeks or longer. Fingerprinting clearance is needed both for New York State Certification and the New York City License. Once you have been cleared at one level you can complete a waiver to have the City and State exchange information. Visit the New York State Education Department or New York City Department of Education websites for more explicit and current information.

What do I need to do to remain certified?

Once you are initially certified you have five years to complete the requirements for professional certification. Visit the New York State Education Department for details about your area of certification. 


What is an Internship Certificate Credential?

The Internship Certificate Credential is a temporary New York State teaching certificate.  It allows you to work in the specific school in which you have been offered a position.  You can't use it in another school.  While teaching under this credential, you are supervised by a CCNY faculty member from the OCP.  The credential is good for two years, and cannot be renewed.  Within that time you must have graduated and completed all NYS certification requirements.

How to I apply for an Internship Certificate?

The CCNY School of Education requirements are:

  • You must be a CCNY matriculated graduate student
  • You must have completed 50% of your graduate education program
  • You are in good standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • You must have proof of passing scores for the CST test (NOTE: Special Education students also need the Students with Disabilities CST, Bilingual Education students also need the BEA CST).
  • You must have proof that you completed the Child Abuse, Violence Prevention and DASA workshops.
  • You must have a letter from a school stating that you have current or pending employment.

Bring evidence of all the above to your program advisor in order to begin the Internship Certificate application process. Your can begin the process by completing the application with our Certification Officer, Jose Osorio; .

Last Updated: 10/21/2022 16:30